Controls do not work as expected over SteamLink (VR) (Requesting confirmation from an engineer)

Hello this is my first time attempting to file a bug report so please bear with me as we go through this.

I am requesting help from a ROBLOX engineer to confirm if this is truly an issue with ROBLOX end.

Details:

The controls in VR when playing ROBLOX over the recently released Steamlink does not work as expected, I’m pushing this bug report as confirmation for a ROBLOX engineer to look into.

I initally narrowed it down to Nexus Character VR module, and filed a bug report on the GitHub page.
TheNexusAvenger did respond with the following:

I’m going to close this with the assumption that this is either an issue with Steam Link or Roblox. Roblox is responsible for input from the various OpenXR runtimes with any issues handled by the platform as opposed to by the developer. There should be no visible difference in the input events when switching OpenXR runtimes like this. Please re-open this issue if you have confirmation from a Roblox engineer that this is not a Roblox problem.

Some confirmation would be super appreciated.

Here’s the exact issue:

• When moving around in VR, the controlls appears to just drop out suddenly, it’s as if i’m flicking the thumbsticks around, like movement the thumbstick for the camera will also spam and be super disorientating.

This only appears to happen on Steam Link and not Virtual Desktop or Oculus Air Link

I should also mention places not using this module does not appear to be affected.

As a result this makes the game unplayable.

Where it happens:

Here are the following places that uses Nexus Character VR module.

I’m unable to repo in studio due to ROBLOX Studio strangely not detecting VR unlike the client, but I did quickly take a place and made it uncopylocked with the module. Studio Testing Place - Roblox

When it happens: Immidately when trying to turn the camera and move around.

Here’s the hardware I use:

• Meta Quest 3.

• Meta Quest 3 stock controllers.

• Meta Quest Pro controllers.

This issue happens on both controllers. And I assume this also happens on the Meta Quest 2 due to how similar it is.

• Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 21H2.

• Nvidia RTX 3080TI.

• 32 Gigs of RAM.

• Intel I211 Gigabit Ethernet Controller.

Video Demonstration:

First I tested Virtual Desktop, an Alternative to Oculus Air Link.

I used the stock Quest 3 controllers.

After that I tested Steam Link, which is an alternative to both VD and OAL.

Reproduction steps:

• First install Steam and make sure Steam Link is enabled in steam settings.
    • Install Steam VR if not already.
    • Once SteamLink is installed, connect and it should open SteamVR.
    • Open one of the following ROBLOX places as mentioned above.
    • Try moving around and turning the camera with the thumbsticks.

As you will probably find out, you can’t move wihout stopping randomly, the camera will spam as well.

This bug is Consistent, and will happen 100% of the time.

This bug started happening when SteamLink was released on November 30th 2023.

And to recap: this bug does not happen over Oculus Air Link and Virtual Desktop.

Steam Link [Buggy]

Virtual Desktop [Working]

Edit: for the sake of being consistent across the board, I’ve tested this over Oculus Air Link and the ROBLOX Quest App.

As you can see like VD, the bug does not happen on either two.

P.S: Thanks for approving this bug report Focia19!

2 Likes

Thank you for the report! This appears to be an issue with Steam Link and not Roblox itself. We would recommend using Oculus Link or Oculus Air Link as a workaround.

1 Like

Good to know, it’s a shame it happens with steam link because that’s the most streamlined way of setting up a connection.

I guess ill use virtual desktop for now.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.