Cooking game kitchen build feedback

I’m by no means a builder, but I feel like for a simplistic build this is pretty good.

My idea from a game design perspective was a small room since the game is a fast paced game. The game is also supposed to be pretty comedic, so the oven and pot are sideways.

(The cat posters meow when clicked btw)

There’s no interior for the oven, but there’s a fridge interior

Right now there’s not much in the fridge but as I add more food making stations I’ll add more food in the fridge, like more fruits than just strawberries once I add smoothies.

From a functionality standpoint, the sandwich and pizza makers work, and there’s a station where you can combine two valid items together.

Sandwich maker:

This one always stays looking the same, but if you make a certain combination then the tool version of it automatically gets named to a certain name and npcs can order specific sandwiches.

Pizza maker:

When you make a pizza, you have to cook it in the oven, and when you cook it there must be 7 of each topping for those toppings to count. Also once you cook it, it looks a lot neater.

The combination station can be used to combine compatible items
For example: If an NPC orders “a single strawberry in a cup”, then you can combine a strawberry and a cup together in the combination station, then you’d deliver that.

The fridge turns on, it’s just unplugged at the moment, but you can get a badge for plugging it in.

Spaghetti can be cooked in the pot, and whenever you cook spaghetti or pizza then the pot/oven catches on fire for 5 seconds, then gives you the cooked version of the item.

And finally, NPCs ordering things works like this:
The phone rings, and when someone clicks a click detector, the server script stops the ringing and a client script makes a call gui pop up for the player that clicked it.
The script generates a random order by piecing together what food they want, what container (if it can be put in a container), and where they want it dropped off. There’s more random flavor text, but that’s the general gist of it. Anyways, once the order is generated, it gets posted to the bulletin board:
Then, once someone delivers the correct order, they are awarded some points based off the difficulty of the order.
Also, NPCs ordering drinks is not supported yet, but will be during the smoothie station update.

And finally, I am planning on changing the combination station to have you actually drag two things together in order to combine them.

That’s all there really is right now. There’s a whole map but I mainly want feedback on the kitchen and the mechanics of the kitchen.

6 Likes

This is really cool!

I don’t really know what to say about the system itself. The kitchen looks like something you’d find in prison, so I recommend changing the walls and floor to make it look more realistic.

3 Likes

I was kinda going for that, at the beginning of the game the lights are off, you move slower and there’s wind blowing outside. I did this to make it kinda like a horror game intro, cause the point behind the game is you’re a zombie and you set up a shop in some random concrete building.

I didn’t mention this cause I wanted feedback about the kitchen, but you’re a zombie because it’s a fast paced cooking game mixed kinda with a stealth game, there’s NPCs that walk around outside and you have to deliver the items without getting seen, or else you’ll get your cooking license taken away (cause zombies can’t have cooking licenses).

Oh also, regardless of the reasoning behind the kitchen and that, thank you so much for the feedback!
I was debating making it less prison-y anyway, so I might do that now.

1 Like