Cool sea mesh, optimized and everything

Cool project but unless I’m mistaken , this doesn’t seem all that optimized if this is taking at minimum ~5ms with 300 studs render distance

The water we made for instance runs at 1.5ms with a render distance of 2000 studs

Thank you!

I’ll probably implement it soon, thanks for the suggestion.

A zone system is also something necessary, I’ll include in the to-do list.

This one I never heard before actually, good idea, the sea actually carries stuff around, I forgot about this XD

I think there are 2 main factors:

1. My PC is an extreme potato, especially the CPU, the generation is so old I had a hard time finding it on google.
  2. My project is probably far away from being as good and optimized as yours :sweat_smile:

I won’t try to throw everything on the hardware, there is definitely more stuff to optimize on my code, I’m just taking a break because I’m tired of seeing the sea and that same code already :upside_down_face:

I’ll try testing this on other PCs I have here (not mine) later, and see how it performs

edit: There are also other important factors like the mesh resolution and how many Gerstner waves, etc.

1 Like

proof:

I forgot to link it, F for my CPU :pensive:

Do you plan on releasing this as a paid plugin anytime soon?

I’m planning to open-source it soon, I just don’t know when. This file has been sitting here on my computer for a while now, idk

1 Like

Also if I were to release it as paid you would have to wait for the creator store to get to other countries, mine isn’t supported currently

This looks very cool! However, can I have the water’s texture ID if it’s allright? It looks very nice and I would love to use it in my games.

Besides that, the best time to open-source this would be right now in my opinion, if it’s finished, you should release it. It looks very good.

Thank you! For the texture just follow this tutorial (or copy apenz1’s ids down there):

if you tweak some properties you’ll probably get better results than mine.

And if you pretend to tile it like I did throw your maps on this site:

Yeah, it’s mostly finished, it’s just a pain to put stuff on GitHub: I don’t know if I should put the rbmx file or the scripts; if I’ll have to convert the GUI to code; I need to create a repo and configure it; all that boring stuff, I’m just procrastinating about it.

I also want to open-source it while having an optional paid version on the creator store, but my country isn’t (fully, apparently?) supported by Stripe yet.

Thank you, again!

1 Like

Thank you!

Heh, I get it, but once you do it, the possibility of this resource being used by many developers is pretty high, and with it being open-source, many developers can contribute to it and make it even better.

For the GitHub part, you should put all the scripts in an organized manner, there are a lot of template repos that you can fork/copy and configure to fit your own needs. Then, in the releases section, you should include the .rbxm file.

1 Like

Oh, that’s actually a surprise for me, I’ll keep that in mind.

Was helpful? Do you mean my resource or another one? I don’t remember writing about the height lookup function on the main topic, but I’m glad it helped you!

I’m not worried, I even forgot about this post, I’m working on other stuff rn, just remembered because of Off_Xeno’s bump, but I’ll keep an eye on creator store updates so I can release it for people, thank you for the reminder.

1 Like

I would read every single line

1 Like

Just ignore him, some developers are very cocky/egotistical. Especially scripters. Even though I am a scripter lol. Not all scripters are like that, but some are like him…

1 Like

Oh yeah by the way forgot to say really nice creation. I like it. I’m trying to get better at physics and what not in luau myself so I’m impressed.

Thank you! Just don’t know if I’ll have the patience to write it :sweat_smile: but maybe in the near future!

Oh, that guy? I don’t blame him, especially because of how I referred to his work, he reacted strongly but I shouldn’t have referred to it the way I did.

Thank you! Stay strong in your journey, and good luck!

1 Like

I think you were fine, if anything he referred to your work rudely. But let’s leave it.

Actually may I ask how you learnt to use all the constraints you know? (other than linear velocity/bodyvelocity, vectorforce/bodyforce, and weld constraints). The documentation and yt tutorials aren’t really helping. Maybe you could link a video?

Yea of course, writing a tutorial for such a complex concept is challenging. I just wanted to let you know that I’d be useful for many people

Releasing the code is way easier, but I’ll keep that in mind. Maybe after the release, I’ll cook a nice tutorial, thanks for letting me know!

What constraints? Do you mean the align position and orientation on the boats?

Also just remembered back then I used the wrong attachment mode lol, if anyone is reading this and doing a similar boat floating system use the 1 attachment mode on the constraints, it’s way simpler.

Any constraints you know other than the ones I listed. Please tell me how you learnt them it would be greatly appreciated.