Copyright Help - Gta V Map - Roblox Building Support

Hello! I have a few questions about copyright law. I’ve made a map:
(All buildings have been made from scratch by me)

I have not used any assets from Gta v, In fact I do not own gta v. I have based the layout similarly off of the gta v game thought most of it is very different and in-accurate to the actual game. The layout is made up by me too but close to gta v. In face the “Maze bank” building is in the middle. The “FIB Towers” are in the same spot too. I have also not copied any branding or names from the Gta V game either. Is it possible that I get sued?
I mean, could I really be sued for having a map similar to gta v’s? All assets, branding and names are completely different from the game.
If you can provide proof of whether I can be sued or not, that would be great.
Thankyou.

3 Likes

TECHNICALLY Gta V is set in San Andreas, a REAL town in California. Removing any other traces to GTA might allow you to slide by, though don’t quote me on that…

2 Likes

Thanks, most buildings in Gta V are based off of downtown la… so technically I would be basing mine off of La too right? But “Basing off of” and completely rebranding.

2 Likes

Are you asking if city designs are copyrighted as a whole? Because obviously they’re not.

I’m asking if the design of the city from gta v is copyrighted.

Ideas aren’t copyrighted., so don’t worry.

1 Like

I know, all my friends were saying the map is too similar to gta v…

GTA V’s map is generally based on real life Southern California. As long as you don’t use assets from GTA V, it’s fine. I would suggest perhaps having the buildings be more up to date to real life LA to differentiate from Los Santos, like having a completed LA Live building area (the famous unfinished building), unless you intend on setting the game around 2010 or earlier.

1 Like

Ideas are bulletproof. Make anything you want. Just don’t make a 1:1 copy of Super Mario 64.

2 Likes

It is based of Los Angeles, not san andreas. In the game, san andreas is the state (ingame california) and Los Santos is the city (Los angeles).

If gta V takes place in a real town then I don’t think it would be copyrighted as long as you don’t put anything related to GTA V in it