[CoreScript] ExperienceChat, Player's TargetTextChannel gets overwritten away from any channel, if their Team Property changes

Info

System: Windows 10 - 64bit
Studio Version: Version 0.621.0.6210527 (64bit)

Description

As a Player, if you’re in a TextChannel, such as a Whisper Channel through the /whisper command. If your own Player’s Team Property changes, the ExperienceChat System will force change your ChatInputBarConfiguration.TargetTextChannel back to RBXGeneral. Regardless to what it was set to.

This causes unexpected behavior while you’re trying to Whisper someone. Making the Whisper message go out to the public channel.

This also causes unexpected behavior, to anyone that is trying to use the new TextChatService with custom channels.

Note: By myself, I’d not call this a small issue. I indentified this issue in a very popular Roblox game and it occurs a lot. I’ve tried to search if this bug was reported before, but I haven’t found anything.

Reproduction steps

You need a few Teams with different colors. You only need one though. And a second player, doesn’t matter how. But it needs to be created by a Client or something. If you create one manually, it won’t let you Whisper them.

1. Enter a /whisper Channel, while assigned to any Team.

2. Delete your own current assigned Team on the Server, can be with :Destroy() as well. In my case, as “Player2”, I deleted Team “c”.

3. View your Chat Input Box, notice how you’re not Whispering with the other Player anymore.

You can even get force switched out from custom Text Channels.

Expected Result

Your TargetTextChannel should not change just because your assigned Team was deleted. Unless the TargetTextChannel, was the Text Channel from the Team itself.

Actual Result

When the Player’s Team Property changes while they are in a Whisper Channel, their TargetTextChannel switches back to RBXGeneral, causing unexpected User Experience results.
This occurs with any other channel as well.

Ignore this below, I am trying the Bug Wizard for the first time and wanted to see what one can modify after submitting their own bug report:
A private message is associated with this bug report

2 Likes

Thanks for the report! We’ll follow up when we have an update for you.

2 Likes