Could we flag threads asking if game genres are "just cash grabs" from now on, and under what option?

This means the members cant see their own posts, and i remember a dev engagement team member say that the team wouldnt move posts over to #lounge by members, and that they would just be unlisted. Can that still be the case?

1 Like

People already replied to them a lot and I don’t want to hide those discussions forever.

I can’t see my post anymore. This doesn’t help me because they can’t ethier. You can no longer have a so called “discussion”.

It doesnt need to be unlisted then, like atleast a lock, I mean if it was in the wrong category anyway then shouldnt that be done anyways?

Would you rather the miscategorized posts be accessible and discussion continuable by a portion of the community, or locked / unlisted / removed forever? This isn’t really a question. They don’t belong where they were.

2 Likes

Moving posts to #lounge

and if allowing members to post in #discussion was made for the sole purpose of making it “fair” then the OP themselves not being able to see their own topic is just as unfair

I mean what is the point of it existing at this point. #discussion gets way more attention than posts in #lounge:roblox-discussion since the former is available to even tl0 users. The latter is only available to tl2+ users. When a post gets a ton of attention in #discussion but it belonged in #lounge:roblox-discussion and it gets moved to the latter it completely dies down. And that seems to be the only motivation for a lot of members to post in #discussion: likes.

1 Like

I’ve noticed that several topics that I’ve replied to have been moved to the lounge category, which makes me unable to see my own replies, and makes me unable to respond to people that are replying to my replies which seems to defeat the purpose of me participating in the discussion in the first place.

Wouldn’t it be better to have lounge accessible to members, but they are only allowed to see and post replies, not create new topics? I don’t understand the purpose of moving a discussion that members have participated in to lounge, because now the members can’t participate anymore. It’s like starting a debate and then cutting it off half way through.

Edit: I replied to the wrong person

1 Like

Why do we even care about Lounge being regular-only? This is not even a development category.

Really confused by the sentiment against moving posts to Lounge here and rather having them unlisted/deleted. This is really anti-forum-like behavior and is no good. I think the expectation going forward should be that Regular means nothing except being able to file bug reports and feature requests.

6 Likes

I Don’t think it’s a matter of anti forum behaviour, I would consider it a question of ethics in which the OP is no longer able to edit, delete or query responses to what they have said which while it may not violate any rules in my eyes is unethical on every level.

I personally have no problems with the post being in lounge, however if I were the op and I knew my post was being discussed but I could not view that discussion I would be very dissatisfied, there is also the issue, something that I believe you did agree with in which it’s a bypass of post approval for posts to be moved to otherwise locked catagories, once again a question of ethics and this could result in a surge of crap posting from users wanting their posts in lounge.

1 Like

Ok, so I understand the friction lies primarily in the original poster not immediately being able to see the topic. In that case opening up Lounge for TL1 would solve this problem and it would give room for non-development discussion without needing to nuke it from Discussion. Good to know, thanks.

That I would also consider unethical unless every existing post in both catagories of lounge were permanently terminated, since many posts contain otherwise privileged information, which was disclosed my posters to a community of regulars, changing that audience would be even more unethical.

I don’t think information can be considered privileged when shared with 2500+ people, so opening that up further should not pose any issues.

This is a development forum – not a private club.

Nobody is saying it is a private club but once #lounge gets opened up there will be more leaking, so we can say goodbye to this rule

I believe there is an older post called ‘where do you live’ or something of the sort, I wouldn’t believe it is ethical to then expose that information to a wider, more accessible audience

That’s a good thing! This rule is horribly outdated anyway.

Feel free to link me examples where users have been treating Lounge as a place to share confidential information in the past ~2 years – I bet you can count the samples on one hand (if not 0). Information older than that can’t be relevant anymore.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t opening up lounge in itself be a violation of the rule? The rule would have to be removed before it is even within forum rules for lounge to be opened.

Alright now we’ve fully devolved to pedantics. Enjoy the rest of the discussion.

2 Likes

Would it be reasonable to be given a month period in which any regulars could request the removal of any posts made in lounge which they consider to contain sensitive data?

Members can now create Discussion topics? is leaking out onto this thread.

I recognise that the discussion is still somewhat relevant and that I could probably imply an answer, but I don’t want to be presumptive and use editing powers wrongly here by starting to move out shallow discussion threads about the platform to Lounge.

In regards to the categories: I would prefer that further conversation about the Discussion/Lounge categories take place on that thread since that catches the wider point of discussion topics, not here. That’s not what this thread is for and that’s not what it should’ve turned into.

I still have not gotten answer to the originally posed question.

Apologies,

To answer your question, yes it is a violation of catagory guidelines to make posts discussing anything about game genres, discussion as stated in its description is strictly restricted to development discussion and this subject is not revolving around development.

To be clear, this is classed as off topic