Crash due to normalized zero vector operation causing "error opening dstFile" on launch

Reproduction Steps
I’m not quite sure exactly what will reproduce it, but for me it appeared to be triggered by performing mathematical operations with the 3D normalized vector of the zero vector, i.e. Vector3.new(0, 0, 0).Unit, inside RunService.RenderStepped.

That then will cause a studio crash, where afterwards that same Studio executable cannot be opened again giving an error.

Expected Behavior
I would firstly expect studio not to crash when I do bogus vector operations, and secondly expect the same version of studio to be able to open again in the case where it does crash.

Actual Behavior
Studio will crash, then it cannot be opened again due to the following error:

Workaround
Different versions of studio can be launched (different hash/garbage/whatever version code directory inside the Program Files (x86)/Roblox/Versions directory).

Issue Area: Studio
Issue Type: Crashing
Impact: Moderate
Frequency: Very Rarely
Date First Experienced: 2021-10-15 23:10:00 (+13:00)
A private message is associated with this bug report

9 Likes

I have the same error for some reason. No clue what causes it, reinstalling studio did not work.

1 Like

I also had this problem twice yesterday after just doing some ui editing, I found that editing a game from the website allowed studio to boot without the error.

1 Like

Main causes
This result is permanent on version. It will remain in the system until new version came out.
unless you have to reset/reinstall your os

I had this problem quite many times already

I am getting this issue almost everytime I launch studio in found the personal workaround of rebooting the PC but i have to reboot my pc everytime studio refuses to launch until it works I think the issue maybe to do with the latest windows update as thats when i first encountred the issue

Edit: Studio now refuses to work upon reboot

Hello! This issue is currently being investigated.

As a potential workaround, can you please check now if uninstalling Roblox Studio (and deleting related folders and executable in %LOCALAPPDATA%\Roblox\Versions), then clicking edit on any Experience from https://www.roblox.com/develop to get a fresh Studio install helps? Thank you!

1 Like

The studio launching issue appears to have fixed itself sometime in the last 24 hours (and with a new version of studio). Although I can’t say whether the cause of the problem is actually resolved, since I don’t know of a way to consistently reproduce it.

Yes, the launching issue should be fixed now, we reverted some flags which we’re pretty confident were the root cause.

2 Likes

I had a similar problem but it says that Its published but its not and won’t let me in it

• It’s still happening