Create Experiences for People 17 and Older on Roblox

Great, now we can make games for adults too!

However there are a few problems:

1. How exactly will roblox convince more adults to play games on roblox? This platform is known for kids and the fact that they just mess up so much that they become a laughingstock.

2. Roblox R6 and R15 won’t cut it, If you are going for an aesthetic or a hyperrealistic game, we gonna need Rthro to do so. At this point, the only problem Rthro has to my mind is realism, but im not sure…

3. Developers need assurance that, the moderation team will thoroughly look through their games in order to not just take them down out of the blue.

4. I don’t know about everyone else, but I personally don’t think that external devs who have experience in these kind of things have enough incentives to make any game on roblox. However im not sure about the up and coming ones that want to make mature content…

5 Likes

Would this be in-general or specifically users that have verified their age. While I understand it’s reasonable from a corporate level no one is lying about their age, it’s something that younger age groups often do to bypass restrictions, which leads to older age groups appearing to be more apparent on the platform.

Does this mean games like Phantom Forces, Arsenal, and others will receive 17+ age ratings? And if depiction of weapons weren’t allowed either prior to this announcement, how were these experiences allowed in the first place. Not really understanding how this is anywhere near worth mentioning considering weapons have been prominently on the platform for years.

Will the 17+ option be added to the “Allowed Experiences” section of the “Parental Controls” settings or would it be a case of if you’re verified to be 17+ the cap is raised to 17+ experiences? If the former, will this be released around the same time as developers will be able to curate 17+ experiences?

3 Likes

It won’t. The ID restrictions have completely killed the success of spreading to an older audience. And Roblox is an unviable game engine anyways, being unable to support the standards that most adults have for games nowadays. It took 20 years for Roblox add skinned meshes, a feature that has been in most game engines since at minimum, 1998. Roblox as a company, and a game engine, would need an overhaul to even dream of getting adults to play it.

3 Likes

This will create an even bigger controversy, you cannot see the consequences of these actions in the media. People will talk about how this “entering birth date accordingly” will not work and blame Roblox for allowing even more sexual content and pedophiles on the platform.

2 Likes

I have a question about this. “Romantic themes” are you planning something like a dating simulator on steam?

I’m not sure what people are saying about this, but I do think this can help Roblox more. It’s not like Jailbreak is becoming a dating simulator, or Adopt Me. To be honest, I don’t mind it at all (Now, I do got to state that I am at the time of writing this, I am 15.) mainly because as I see it, 99% of users that do play these games are going to be 17+.

Now, as I understand it, you guys are working on getting a system working for 17+ assets. I’ll try to understand that this is a work-in-progress, but how will Roblox moderate images?

Will it be something like “We only allow 17+ images in games the developer owns.” type of thing? Because we can’t just let everyone see a 17+ image. (I’m referring to something like blood)

But overall I see this as a step forward, and in general I see this as a good thing.

Despite I’m not going to be able to play them :cry:
6 Likes

This is kinda useless Whats the point in making Experiences for 17+ Users when the only way to play these Experiences is the same way you can only get alchohol at a Bar There is no other place on the Internet that I can think of that is this restrictive… Now I know Roblox has a problem with Under age users getting exposed to Malicious Content but Roblox has added Parental Controls and many ways to Protect Children. The thing is Parents need to watch there Children. I mean we already see many cases of lil Timmy spending $10,000 from Moms Credit Card on Pet Simulator X also… sorry if this makes me sound Ignorant but Couldnt Roblox use there TOS to protect them from Legal issues if someone lies about there age cause we don’t see this with any other platform on the Internet. Maby they will slowy lax the way to access 17+ Games! I say this as a 19 year old who does’nt want to Give personal Info (Pic/Gov ID) to Roblox and who also has other friends who are my age or older that dont wanna give Roblox personal Info! I know they wanna grow there older audience but these restrictions arent gonna really help…

5 Likes

I feel the way as it was framed in this announcement, it’s too broad. I am really hoping for more clarification on what’s allowed and what isn’t.

More importantly for developers, how would they filter out scenes from U17 and show them to 17+ or give 17+ options of which type of scene to show. Also, what do they mean by “romantic themes”. Very confused on what that means.

5 Likes

I like that Roblox is going to allow users to create 17+ games.

However, I am disgusted by the fact that they’re locked behind ID verification. What were getting is barely any more “extreme” than what is currently being done for 13+ games but at the cost of giving up your very identity to Roblox in order to even create something like this. A simple text warning would be enough.

How long will it take Roblox to realize that they are not the ones who should be parenting children? I don’t want my or any one else’s freedom limited over the fear of a child willfully ignoring all the warnings and paying the price for it.

5 Likes

When it is mention that in-game gambling is forbidden, does this only mean that gambling with purchasable currency is disallowed or gambling with any currency is disallowed? And how does this affect things like throwing coins into a well for potential results or sacrificing a precious currency to potentially enhance something?

4 Likes

I honestly don’t know how to feel about this. 17+ games already exist, they just either got banned or are not that popular. Or ofc overlooked by mistake. Making them official though? Not exactly sure what to think on that. I hope it goes well and no issues arise.

2 Likes

I can’t say I fully understand the point in this. I’m not eager to slash my playerbase into 10% of what it could be so I can… Have red solo cups in the game? To put weapons in it, which 1/3 of the front page’s 13+ games already do?

I doubt many developers will be making use of this feature until we get more creative freedom with it. If I’m gonna ruin any chance of a game being profitable, I’d like to have a bit more range in what I can do with it.

4 Likes

This is a good idea, now it just needs to be implemented correctly.

2 Likes

Lol so you’re telling me we can’t have realistic blood, we can’t have beer cans, wine, alcohol or smoking the only thing we can do is have phantom forces kind of blood which is legit already on the platform already, we can’t have gambling content only things like BINGO, can’t have NPC’s having relationships literally who cares about this update? You’ve ruined every option about a game being 17+ No one is going to play these games just because it’s 17+ oh, because it said the s word like dude, what? And, because it has a red cup simply and that’s it. You guys realize, we still can’t even do anything like GTA that is literally overthrown with kids… You guys don’t even know what you’re talking about, don’t listen to the community, throwing this trash RTHRO, making kids gamble with RTHRO practically, if not you guys are the ones that should be moderated, I’m tired of what you’ve did to this platform and ruined the classic gears, classic stamper tool, classic btools. You’re telling me oh because I’m 17 I can only make BINGO and red cups, no beer cans, wine or anything, can’t have a background NPC smoking which btw ROBLOX literally every kid 13+ or younger or older SMOKES in this generation, what is the point of this?! Like actually, what is the point of this I can only have red cups, and phantom forces blood, and say the s word and that’s 17+ for u. I can’t having massive shooting crowds which is literally every game nowadays because that’s not neccesarry for 17+ can’t have extreme gore, can’t have crime or drugs in the game. If it’s a 17+ game I expect to have shootings, extreme gore, shooting crowds, causing crimes, having drugs, smoking, alcohol, meaning beer and wine cans that’s the definition of a 17+ game not just because I got red cups, oh look I’m drinking like what? What is this a shoreline MAFIA music video, I can’t have backgrounds smoking either, we are still limited to like 4 options we get because we’re 17+ lol

3 Likes

To be fair, they’re only making it ID - Verified because of legal reasons. I don’t really see a problem with that, like, at all. It’s more irresponsible to just have a warning, because children will simply ignore it.

Also, they’re planning on expanding what is allowed for 17+

1 Like

Will this also include the ability to swear in 17+ games?

1 Like

Not legal reasons, PR reasons (or just Roblox being Roblox).

Having just a warning is perfectly ok. Several companies do it, and it’s generally not a problem.

1 Like

We get literally 4 options

We still can’t make realistic blood, no gore, no drugs, no smoking, just a red cup to show alcoholism, saying the s word, and bingo that’s it.

1 Like

The way I see it is that they already have the ID Verification system in place, so why not use it? It would be the more responsible thing to use it rather than just… not. For a platform as big as Roblox, and having a ton of young impressionable children I think if they just went with a little “I agree to this” button there would be a TON of parental complaints. I know I would. Of course, yes, parents should monitor what their children do, but parents also shouldn’t be letting their kids use their IDs for verification.

3 Likes

Games like Notoriety have been removing blood out of fear that their playerbase would be SEVERELY reduced. Stop with the ID verification crap, it’s just hurting your platform. (Ik Roblox is gonna ignore this, as they do with a lot of feedback (except the terrain tools upgrade, ProtoValence is doing really good at addressing feedback and concerns), but I want to at least get my voice out there. Maybe if enough people tell Roblox off for this, they might change.)

4 Likes

all we can do is just a red cup to show alcoholism, saying the s word, bingo, phantom forces blood and that’s it.

1 Like