Creating a dialogue system?

HI all, I’m working on a dialogue system for an RPG game. In very early stages I have the basics, multiple messages, prompts, shops, all the usuals. The problem is that my system isn’t very modular or versatile. The way I do it is I have a folder which contains objects of all the NPC’s info. Messages, talk speed, whether they have a shop or not, all of it is in there. Then when I press the interact key, it searches for the NPC’s info using the name of the NPC and does its work from there. Here is an example of my current system, still WIP.

The real problem comes when I want to do more with this. When NPC’s are mentioning key items, I would want those to be highlighted or bold. When questing, I would want dialogue to change depending on how far into the quest you are. These are just a few of the changes I would want in my system, and I am stumped trying to figure out a solution.

Am I on the right track? Is my system bad? If so what could I do better, or what should I change?

I would create a table containing all of the dialogues and display them according to which tasks they’ve completed so far. For the text part, you might be able to use Rich Text to display bold text, but I haven’t personally experimented with it all that much.

Thank you, Im gonna try out rich text.