Creating a monster in blender

Hey there!

So i know there have been many topics on what videos you should watch to get started on blender, etc. but this is different.

I want to create some sort of monster, a skinny, slightly deformed shadow monster. A mix of these images:

The problem is i just don’t know how to do it. Do i sculpt or do i 3D Model?

Do you guys have any recommended videos that could specifically help me on this?

Please keep in mind that i’m a beginner.

Any help is appreciated! :+1:

1 Like

3D Modelling takes lesser time and it’s easier to learn but Sculpting allows for higher detail but it’s Harder to learn and takes more time

1 Like

For such an organic creature type it might be better to outline it via modelling and sculpt it into the actual creature. Modelling is much better for symmetrical designs with a little bit of sculpting for refinement.

However this creature is very organic and asymmetrical. You can actually just sculpt it from scratch if you want to.

Of course this ignores the entire question of what you specialize in/feel more comfortable with doing. If you like modelling better then do that. It doesn’t matter what you use just what you feel more comfortable doing.

I do want to note that with sculpting it’s recommended that you use a drawing tablet but it isn’t required.

2 Likes

Iv’e never actually been into modelling. Additionallt, sculpting feels really difficult for me, especially forming a decent looking shape, like a head.

Do you have any specific tips/techniques for modelling or sculpting, or perhaps a video?

Thanks for the help.

Finding videos on YT shouldn’t be to hard. Just search for “blender modelling tutorial” or “character creation tutorial” I recommend following a few tutorials so you can get the hang of blender. Then if you feel you’re ready you can start creating your character.

1 Like

Sculpt it. Just don’t overthink it, if it’s organic then sculpt, otherwise hard surface. If you have trouble with sculpting just make a base for the sculpt using hard surface and then sculpt the details on top once you get the basic form done.

2 Likes

I actually say a video on this. Something about sculpting a dinosaur of some sort by using a base from hard surface and sculpting on top. I think that’s the best way of getting started.

Thanks for the help!

1 Like