Creating a pixel sandbox: PowderToy in Roblox

The Powder Toy is a well known powerful pixel sandbox game with a wide range of elements all with their own characteristics. I’ve been playing the game for about 5 years now, ever since I’ve started developing I’ve always tried to make a replica within Roblox. But now, with me starting Lua two and a half years back and consistently developing for over a year, I’ll give a shot at developing a replica, although downsized somewhat.

I know how to draw a screen with Frames representing pixels and with parallel script I can calculate the values and render them efficiently.

What I’m not so good with is taking in account pressure and the direction in degrees. I am able to shift elements with an x and y value, but when it comes to taking directions I’m not sure how to convert a value from 0 to 360 to a Vector2 value.

If anyone has made similar games before, or just knows some math calculation that would be useful to the development, please tell me! Also feel free to make element ideas for when I’ve got my system done.

3 Likes