Creating a smooth character camera

Hi! I was wondering how one might go about coding a smoother, more gentle character camera than the default camera.

A camera with “momentum” that takes a second to fully stop after you turn it, rather than just updating rotation immediately?(edited)

2 Likes

Tweening, that’s what I do for mine.

6 Likes

A full second is enough to completely break the user input visual feedback loop and make camera control feel like steering a hovercraft. It’s really easy to go too far with this and make your controller feel unresponsive and laggy, especially because as the developer, you’ll start to get used to it and compensate, and what feels OK for you can be unusable for a new player. Players nearly always prefer minimum input lag and highest responsiveness, so however you decide to do it, my advice would be to make it tunable and able to be fully disabled by players.

18 Likes

Are you trying to make the camera part of the game (like attaching it to your player)? If you use Left Ctrl + Left Shift + P (I think; it may have been Ctrl + L) you can activate a free-camera mode that has what you want, however it is only toggleable for people who have access to edit the game.