Creating new and fresh Skyboxes

Very cool tutorial, thanks for posting!

1 Like

Blender will automatically render all six images for you if make a new texture and set it as an Environment map. You don’t need to set camera parameters or manually angle the camera yourself, you just hit scene render and Blender does all that as a pre-render step.

7 Likes

Where do the images save to?

Holy crap dude, this is outstanding. Definite +1 from me. I’ve already got ideas in my head.

2 Likes

Great, I’ll take a look at this later today! I’ll keep most of the tutorial this way however, because I want people to understand the concepts in case they’re using another program, probably will add a collapsed edit for Blender once I figure it out. Also, it’s complimentary with another tutorial I’ll be writing shortly.

Thank you!

Also thanks for the positive feedback everyone!

1 Like

Check out the tutorials at KatsBits, there are ones for cycles and non-cycles workflow, and both use Blender’s built-in cubemap generator. Your way is going to be less prone to orientation mistakes than using Blender’s generator, which requires you to rotate two of the panels in order to match the orientation of a Roblox skybox. But if you have a lot of skyboxes to make, the other way can be a huge time saver, so worth knowing both options.

3 Likes

Very late reply, but this will be very useful for showcases and other projects!

1 Like

https://jaxry.github.io/panorama-to-cubemap/

Here is a great tool I’ve been using to interpret equirectangular projections for things like planets. It’s super convenient and it’s all open source.

7 Likes

Thank you so much, i put a star on it so i can come back and see it again because im going to try it, thanks.

1 Like

Great tutorial! Everything was informative, and I managed to, for the first time ever, create a decent seamless skybox xD

1 Like

Hey, I love this toturial but the problem is you blender is old version and my is 2.83 maybe it time to update this toturial for 2.83? I love to see the new one uwu

2 Likes

There is also an easy program I found called Qbit worth looking into that converts HDRIs into skyboxes instead of worrying about that whole Blender process.

Just a heads up that you probably don’t need supersampling on if you use it because it takes like 20x longer and there is virtually no different from my experience.

3 Likes

Should be updated in my comment, sorry lol

1 Like

Yo wait, I just realise that my HDRI, that I just download is from HDRHAVEN and it on HDRI format, how do I convert it to photo?

Sorry for the late reply, but I usually open it in Photoshop and then re-save it as a .jpeg file.

In my opinion, as a builder, making skybox is quite hard for me. Besides that, thanks for at least giving us a tutorial! I might give a it try, maybe one day.

Do you have any websites or advice in mind where you find skyboxes?

Atmos by Elttob can be pretty helpful

try HDRIHaven it has loads of HDRIs and all of them are free

look at the images, world = red world
camera = tv

1 Like