Creator AMA (RDC 2024) with Nick and Tian [September 19, 2024]

Are there plans, aside from the new improved revenue split and USD pricing, to make paid access experiences more sensible/worthwhile for developers?

For example: lowering the minimum from 9.99 USD, regional pricing, not disabling engagement based payouts etc.

10 Likes

Hey, thanks so much for doing another AMA.

Back in May I asked about the possibility of more transparency between UGC staff → creators, and opening up a ‘top’ UGC creator server where we can forward issues, set up office hours, etc.

UGC is currently extremely volatile and once again we have an even worse lack of communication from staff. Has there been any developments on the UGC teams end in fixing this connection since we last spoke?

9 Likes

Later this year, we’ll ship custom analytics events and detailed analytics for avatar items .

Can you share more details about the timeline for detailed analytics for avatar items; will this solve the current limitations of avatar analytics such as only showing the top few items and only being able to filter a date range of up to a year?

5 Likes

This question here is not directly related to what was IN RDC, but I noticed that in the RDC Summary post there was a Table of Content that looked like this one:

The Question

And I was wondering whether this was made manually or not, because I liked the concept and make it a thing so that anyone can generate one through Markdown here.

But seen that there was a Table of Content, I was wondering if this Plugin could be added to the Forum one day. https://devforum.roblox.com/t/table-of-contents-discourse-plugin/1464352/7

4 Likes

Last year’s RDC had a major portion dedicated to security, outlining the alt-detection and punishments system. Sadly, this year’s RDC had less of a security focus. Top competitive games on the platform still have to ban over 2000 cheaters every single day. When these games grow popular, the developers wind up having to switch their focus away from developing cool new features and instead towards endless anti-cheat battles to keep players happy. Could you elaborate on the future plans for assisting developers in combatting exploiters and helping ensure competitive games have a place on this platform?

5 Likes

Hello Nick and Tian! Hopefully, this time my question may get answered lol.

Anyway, this time I would like to ask the same question as my previous one, which is about CoreGui.

Recently, we got an update on the Experience Controls which updates its look and function, but we still aren’t able to disable it completely or have it automatically disabled. As someone who cares about how much control I have over the UI, this concerns me.

(I made a post about this too.)

Will we ever have broader control over CoreGui? Right now for some reason, I feel like we’re being limited in many important areas, and we still don’t have the level of control that we should have already. Some areas of CoreGui like TextChatService allow for a great number of configuration options and have a great API that we can use to seamlessly integrate our systems with this part of it. And yet, we still don’t have the same thing for other areas, such as the Experience Controls and the Roblox Menu. I just want to ask again: Will we ever have more options to customize CoreGui in a way that does not create security issues?

9 Likes

At the end of the Creator Keynote on day 1 of RDC, progress in the area of Modesty Layers & 2D Clothing for UGC avatar bundles was briefly mentioned.

Can we get some insight of how Roblox is planning to improve the interaction between 2D Clothing and Modesty Layers on bundles, and what timelines for any update on these would be?

12 Likes

Are there any plans for the next gen UI to let us be able to add custom icons and layouts to the studio UI or a toggle to be able to use the current UI insted of the next gen?

3 Likes

With the highlights posts on our profiles, which were announced at RDC, could we expect a major Profile Page revamp? Will we also be able to post “advertising posts” on our profiles “or showcasing posts” about our work on roblox?

6 Likes

With the Forums feature in Groups becoming Communities, how fine-grained are you aiming for?

Will we be able to create categories, have idea voting, private threads with devs, functionality like that? Or is it really targeted at simple player-to-player communication?

9 Likes

It’s my Birthday! Anyway, how will the Player-Made Studio Templates work in terms of “an algortithm?”

Like, how would the algorithm work to display good Studio Templates? Is it based off most used, or another type of algorithmic system?

Will there be multiple template sections using different types of algorithms?

4 Likes

At RDC you guys announced that since the marketplace went public in April, total monthly creator earnings have increased 61% year over year.

With this influx of talented creators earning, are there any plans for Roblox to allow marketplace creators to be eligible for or introduce separate awards specifically for marketplace creators, similar to those already available for many years to for experience developers and star creators/influencers?

My previous website Feature Request for this - Creator Awards for Marketplace Achievements

14 Likes

Hi all!

Is there any more information of the Shopify X Roblox intergration?

4 Likes

Since my other question was not about what was announced, here’s an on-topic one:

With the new updates on Paid Access, can they finally be allowed on Xbox? If not, why?

10 Likes

Will we ever get offline studio?

10 Likes

Is there a rough timeline as to when more experiences will be able to enroll in testing Occlusion Culling?

9 Likes

Thank you for giving us this opportunity again! For my question – will we see any new lighting effects soon? I understand concerns for performance and ensuring that the shaders can run on all devices smoothly, however I’d love to see more ‘minimal’ and widely-adopted effects such as color quantization to be added.
Due to the engine restrictions imposed to keep our development experience smooth, it’s very hard to implement such effects ourselves, without abusing existing lighting properties in ways that are not guaranteed to remain consistent as Roblox updates.

Here’s a list of missing widely-used post-processing effects that would be lovely:

• Tonemapping
  • Quantization/posterization
  • Color curves
  • Midtones
11 Likes

With the rebranding of groups to communities, could we see a feature that allows players to find forum posts made by certain users? Either by username or keywords used in the post?

3 Likes

When are we going to get batch writes and/or transactions for datastoreservice?

I remember asking two years ago and the reply was due to budget constraints the engineers couldn’t justify researching it, but recent development has been made for “profiles” which quite frankly I think Roblox needs to realize that is a very useless ergonomics feature that doesn’t distinctively solve anything. Developers can implement session locks trivially, but we cannot ensure data atomicity which requires a lot of engineering effort. Roblox could save developers and players a lot of money by shipping a robust system in place to aid the implementation of trading systems.

5 Likes

It was announced we were getting improvements to data stores. I assume some less notable changes were not included in that segment.

Given that assumption, do any of these planned improvements include getting a key’s position in an ordered data store?

2 Likes