Creator Marketplace: Improving Model Safety

If you wish to type in the require command yourself in your game, you are allowed to do so.

I thought obfuscation was already against TOS, no? Just because people are doing it doesn’t mean it is allowed. I don’t’ know, I’m asking.

Maybe it isn’t against TOS, but this popup warning implies that it is:

Yeah, but I should also be authorised to allow other modules do it.

I wonder if they will permit commented out require statements. Where you could go into a setup script of some sort and uncomment the line to enable the functionality.

Not ideal, but maybe an option.

what are we supposed to do about version checkers? often you would require a module that would return something like Version = “2.0b”, and now that would be impossible without using Marketplaceservice and having different assets to do different stuff, which was otherwise possible in a module

1 Like

Another

stupid

update.

Just give us a warning if the model has getfenv, setfenv, or requires something it’s really that easy

7 Likes

first they destroy audios, and now they remove requires. god this platform gets worse with each and every update.

just make a game setting to disable these instead of making them unusable

3 Likes

A warning won’t stop a noob from using it and getting an account termination causing tears and parent outrage.

Maybe better moderation and not banning users for inserting models into their game will work.

Maybe just a different type of account warning or message telling you to delete the asset from your game.

1 Like

That still wouldn’t prevent the offensive item from appearing in some game for some amount of time.

Prevention is better than cleanup.

It’s on roblox if that asset got past their moderation anyways.

Well now its on Roblox to prevent you from require(id) thanks exploit creators, thanks a lot!

I’m interested to know what prompted this, or more-so how much planning went into this change. Like all major changes, this should’ve been announced weeks ahead of time to allow room for feedback, and more importantly, adaptations from the developer’s side.

3 Likes

I too use getfenv and setfenv quite frequently in my code. Disabling this is not just obnoxious, it’s incredibly upsetting.

So for example a car model currently in the library that has it’s operational script as a require(id), will the entire car model vanish from the library? Or will it just become non-functional(the script will vanish).

(didn’t mean to reply to you Scoot) :slight_smile:

1 Like

No, just stop, this is going to break stuff like A-Chassis 6 Clutch and a bunch of other things, like, bruh

Once again, an issue that would of been resolved long ago.

Just give users to uniquely allow certain require id’s.

Stop harming the community that makes tools.

All this will do is make people upload their scripts off the Roblox site and try to use a lua pharser to execute their scripts.

Are you going to block HttpService requests next?

3 Likes

This update has to be even dumber than the audio update, both updates could have been taken care off differently and better lol, litteraly, just put a warning when they insert a model notifying them it has a require() or a getfenv(), if they still insert it and there happens to be a virus in it, thats THEIR fault, you can’t just destroy the platform for developers because of a few foolish people on studio inserting virusses bruh

You can’t seriously expect a popup warning to prevent something from happening. Who’s fault it is isn’t going to matter, its spreading malicious code.

You can’t expect a 9 year old kid or even their non-coding parent to have any idea what getfenv(), require(), etc. even mean. Oh, so some library items are fine to click through that warning and some are not, which ones are fine?

A warning is not a solution.

Thank you so much for the feedback on today’s update. After reading your comments we realize that our initial announcement wasn’t as thorough as it could be. We want to take a moment to address some of the concerns we’re seeing.

These changes are focused completely on the Creator Marketplace. Assets that include the use of these features will not be included in Marketplace Search. We are not disabling any functionality nor are any assets currently using these features being removed or moderated.

These changes are part of an effort leading us to a future where Marketplace Search contains assets that we feel confident are safe for use and you can feel confident in as well.

We appreciate your feedback and will continue to monitor this thread.

29 Likes