Creator Marketplace is a bad joke

To reframe the question as a “platform usage support” question due to the absurd separation of “Member” and “Regular Member” that makes it impossible for me to submit a bug report / feature request:

How do I develop in light of this absolute joke of an update that completely broke the development pipeline?

Typically, in large tech companies, there is a vetting process to ensure that updates don’t completely annihilate user experience. Somehow, Roblox seems to have failed to comprehend this vetting process, since:

1. Search doesn’t work at all, results are returned that have no relevance to the keywords. Using more than 1 word in a search query guarantees that the results are nonsense. Sometimes no results return whatsoever even for extremely simple one word queries like “tool.”

2. Extreme lag loading any of the pages on the creator marketplace, sometimes in the multiple minute range

3. No coherent way to filter search results

I’m sure other people can add dozens of more issues, but these are just the issues I’ve encountered after 15 minutes of struggling to use this joke of a “marketplace.”

So back to my platform usage support question: How am I supposed to develop anything or find relevant assets when the only way to do so outside of studio is a bad and severely broken joke that clearly went through zero bug testing or vetting?

6 Likes

Might I suggest Roblox site developers take a look at “The Design of Everyday Things” by Don Norman. I never thought I’d have to refer anybody to this textbook of common sense, but clearly I do.

3 Likes

i agree, i literally never find ANYTHING i need, especially in audios. i think roblox needs to improve search results in all perspectives, when it comes to game surfing and the marketplace too

3 Likes

I kind of wonder sometimes if it is a type of design - a new subset of design based not on form or function but purely on monetization?

Design has generally been meant to appeal to the end user and entice that way. Now it seems that it’s meant to appeal to only those who benefit from our use of it.

How they benefit? Increased click rates in an egalitarian presentation of goods, with options to purchase the ‘nudge’ that increases the chance to appear to end users - with the overarching benefit of further training the AI that ultimately will be tasked with optimizing the search results for maximum monetization.

I can’t imagine that it’s an oversight or incompetence so much as it is a deliberate choice that isn’t designed to be for our convenience.

It sounds snarky/sarcastic but this new form of monetization design is prevalent online across nearly every platform. It’s the breaking of form and function into pieces, marking them up and then selling them back to us a la carte.

2 Likes

See Massive downfall of performance in Audio - Creator Marketplace, if this is in regards to the audio page. If it’s still happening, and after trying the resolutions in that closed bug report (mainly just updating chrome-based browsers), it will work fine. If this is not the case, and you have reproduction steps, you can message Bug support - Developer Forum | Roblox to open a new one.

In terms of the search, around a few years ago the search seemed to start to become super useless. It used to work better years ago though. Now, if you search on the Roblox site for games/groups, it returns seemingly random results that have little to no relation to what you typed in. Sometimes on the avatar marketplace, it returns results, other times, pages just say Coming soon! Check back later.
The Creator Hub’s marketplace acts a little bit better, and will at least find relevant items to what I inputted, but it seems to now return way fewer results than it would have in the past. There’s also the fact that it now only shows ID-verified users by default in the marketplace, even for extremely minor and simple assets that are easily reviewable like a decal/audio.

2 Likes