Creator Roadmap - AMA with Dan and Manuel [Jan 24, 2024]

How would Vietnamese support be added if the font they use for the user interface [Gotham] doesn’t support every vietnamese letter?

Will Roblox add Arabic support?

When will Subscriptions contain the Robux version?

1 Like

We continue to investigate where we might place new datacenters with an eye to improving latency for users across the globe. That investigation so far has shown that networking in South America is tricky - the countries don’t interconnect well. For example, a datacenter in Brazil would not serve Peru particularly well. Thus the utility of the datacenter becomes limited.

That said we’re still looking at it and balancing how we improve latencies for a large community while also ensuring those servers are well utilized.

19 Likes

Byfron has done an amazing job combatting exploiting on the platform, but it’s still a bandaid solution to the underlying problem which is Roblox overly trusting the client for things such as movement. There was a brief mention at RDC about server-authoritative character movement, has there been any progress on this?

2 Likes

I know this is an issue that has been brought up many times over the last 2 and half years I’ve been a UGC creator… but has Roblox made any progress with getting us more support in terms of direct contact with staff for resolving minor issues? ((or avoiding issues in the first place, such as with clarity issues regarding guidelines and specific cases of planned new items))

I believe I speak for many UGC creators when I say we desperately want to work WITH roblox and provide the type of content you want on the platform… but lack of communication and resources severely inhibits our ability to do that job (to the detriment of Roblox and ourselves as small business owners)

5 Likes

What are your plans regarding gears?

5 Likes

Are we ever going to have a way to verify multiple accounts with the same ID? I would love to join 17+ experiences on my second account but the Age ID Verification FAQs states we can only verify one account per ID. Joining 17+ experiences (or any experience for that matter) on my main account gives me unwanted attention and sometimes harassment because of the verified badge, which we currently have no way to hide. Will we see a way to hide the checkmark soon? Thanks

3 Likes

Is there any plans to focus more on #feature-requests like has been done with #bug-reports in recent years? Over the past few years Roblox has shown a heavy focus on bug reports, while this is great and all, roblox seems to be neglecting feature requests, with many of them being left without a response from Roblox.

Would love to see an effort to focus more on these feature requests in the coming year and providing an official response to each. Many of these features are trivial things that can make the development experience so much better and allow us to create things both faster and better.

9 Likes

Can the staff behind Search & Discovery please communicate? Our feature requests are not being responded to. Our voices seem to be ignored and have been. Looking at the activity on the forum of the staff that have responded: it’s empty.

2 Likes

Are there any plans to increase server memory? It’s no secret that games in ROBLOX are getting much more realistic functionality wise and visually, and I feel like we should be equipped with more memory to maintain these higher realistic projects. I understand a lot of it is on the developer to optimize and use resources sparingly, but eventually some developers will hit the ceiling of the current 6.25 GB limit of server memory (before the server crashes when it hits the limit).

Here’s a post with better reasoning and in-depth detail, along with many people wanting this:

2 Likes

Not quite related to the roadmap itself, however, I still have the exact same question I’ve had for a LONG while now.

In addition, can we expect something along the lines of SurfaceAppearance.EmissionMap and/or SurfaceAppearance.Color?

10 Likes

Any plans for Roblox Brand Limiteds for 2024 that the community wants? (I am not sure why my image was not loading 2 posts ago)

6 Likes

Are there any plans to bring emission maps to Roblox in 2024?

2 Likes

As the OP of the post, I support this question and would love to hear what Roblox’s staff thinks about this.

1 Like

We’ve received an additional feature related to grass decoration—the ability to adjust its height. However, there’s a requested feature that would enhance the experience. We would like the option to remove grass decoration from specific areas of the terrain without resorting to leafy grass.

Right! So, I think it would be nice to have two servers, one in São Paulo, Brazil and another in Santiago, Chile, maybe even in other places. I hope Roblox concludes the investigation and everything goes smoothly.

5 Likes

I like that you guys are working on a Ban API so people don’t need to invest time and resources into working with datastores or an external system to create their own moderation system.

As much as this is great, This has the possibility for abuse for games that use user generated models or levels that use scripts to communicate with the game and make things work. Without the ability to sandbox these scripts in an environment that the developers of the game can limit (which would be AWESOME), this leads developers to work on their own workarounds to prevent certain functions from being called - which leads me to this ban API.

Will this ban API provide a way for experiences to ** completely disable** the api all together, whether they have their own system and choose not to use it or choose not to use it and wish to disable it to prevent any backdoors from blocking a lot of users from joining. Just “not using the api” is not really a viable option for some, and can destroy possibly these experiences if we are not given an option to disable this ban api.

32 Likes

Well, since we are practically going for almost 100 days without any major incident, I wanted to ask you if there was practically an improvement, or if they say there is something else to improve, and what work they did to maintain almost 100 days without problems, and even endure major experience updates. Thank you in advance for the opportunity.

Today, we are using real world currency in areas where there are third party platform requirements or dynamics that make the use of real world currency more suitable (like Creator Store, and subscriptions within experiences). We will be learning from these areas and will use those learnings to determine where we have opportunities.

However, there are no active plans today to use it for other developer transactions in the near term.

6 Likes

We are working to improve how coloring/tinting happens, and we have an internal prototype of SurfaceAppearance tinting. We also have an initial API we’re experimenting with internally. We’re going to continue to work on this and understand this is a high priority request, but given the technical challenges here we have no date to announce right now.

28 Likes

My question concerns the Core UI for Virtual Reality.

Could we get more access to this Core UI, such as adding StarterGui:SetCore("VRBottomBar") that allows some flexibility in behaviour like as fading away when minimized, exposing some events for buttons that are pressed on the VR BottomBar, being able to set the cframe or instance that the Core UI follows, and making the Core UI rotate with the z-axis of the camera when Camera.VRTiltAndRollEnabled is true (for example, if the camera is upside down the Core UI and BottomBar will rotate upsidedown along with it so it’s still upright relative to the camera).

4 Likes