Creator Roadmap - AMA with Dan and Manuel

Luau is the only language we expect to support for Roblox experiences. We’ve chosen Luau because it’s approachable, efficient, runs on all devices, and provides a safe runtime that is hard to exploit.

That said, we also strive to ensure a great set of APIs that allow expert devs to do sophisticated things. We’re also continuing to work hard on performance and you should expect to see the Luau interpreter get more efficient over time.

20 Likes

What about adding support for iPad?

2 Likes

Hello,

1. How do you plan to verify creators for public marketplace?

2. What’s the process with the current UGC waves? Applicants from 8 months ago and to 2 months ago are getting in, is this a new process?

3. Are you thinking of making UGC accessory limits of higher, like 8k tris and an option for SurfaceAppearence?

4. Will you guys ever make it easy to get support from Roblox? Automated responses by Roblox Support do not seem to help at all.

I hope all actual problems be answered instead of ignored like most.

Thank you!

1 Like

I’m a UGC creator, with a catalogue of over 2300 items on the store.

But as my catalogue grows, I’m finding it very hard to browse even my own work. I can only imagine how difficult it is for players. A large part of this are just recolors of the same item.

1. Are there plans to let us “nest” the color options for items? So we can have one item listing and then have all the color options available in that?

2. Also any plans for giving us more control over our listings? Games can update themselves, but on the store we can’t even adjust a bad thumbnail or update a bug in a model.

3. Support from staff is notoriously lacking for us creators. I have a handful of items that were skipped by moderation, with no way to have it looked at. Also a host of other issues I just can’t get through to Roblox about.

You know my situation, this lack of support has cost myself and Roblox a significant amount of money. Are there any plans to give, at least those of us earning Roblox multiple millions in revenue, a direct line to have issues sorted out?

5 Likes

We want to create a thriving and dynamic Marketplace where all participants can benefit. Discovery and distribution are very important parts of the value chain and we want to make it compelling for experience developers to showcase creations from others. At the same time, as a Marketplace item creator, you also have the opportunity to create your own experience to sell your items, in which case you would earn both the 30% for creation and the 40% for distribution as an affiliate.

We are seeing this happening on our platform already and envision a future where we make it even more seamless for item creators to design their own stores on the platform, giving them the opportunity to earn the entirety of the 70%.

9 Likes

Why is the affiliate fee larger than the creator’s cut?

25 Likes

Q: How does Roblox aim to better its moderation?

Going to the support emails are unhelpful. It seems as though the moderators are forced to say cookie cutter responses or they just know little to nothing about the Roblox platform. So, when’s that going to get better?

2 Likes

would be nice to see a response to this as people have been asking for weeks and getting no responses, its almost like the feedback keeps getting pushed under a rug, every single time.

3 Likes

Will ingame ugcs be back and will everyone be able to make ugcs

2 Likes

With improved analytics, we want to give our community more transparency on how users are flowing into their experiences. In addition, through benchmarks, creators can see how their experiences are performing in key areas like engagement and retention. Different experiences may reach or resonate with different audiences, and the goal of our recommendation engine is to match users with experiences they will like, resulting in long-term engagement. This is an iterative process and we will continually improve the algorithm to achieve these goals.

As a creator, the most important thing you can do is to focus on improving the engagement and retention of your experience. We have resources available to the community like our Game Design section on our Documentation site that touch on these topics. In the coming months, we’ll be introducing ‘insights’ in our analytics to alert you to key opportunities to improve your experiences and direct you to specific advice.

12 Likes

Hi Dan and Manuel!

Old features I want back

• the official Roblox forums with better moderation

•The genres filter that it was in 2017

• The Bloxy Awards

Thanks for reading this!

3 Likes

I disagree with that perspective, why should I have to make a game and sell my items in there to reap the benefits of that 40% distribution some creators might not have the facilities to create a game like that and therefore would be missing out on a huge chunk of revenue. I think this is something that should be given to us when users purchase FROM the catalog, if OUR items are bought from other peoples games then I understand why in that circumstance we are given 30 and the game recieve 40, thats seems fair to me. But when users purchase solely from the catalog we creators should be given that 70 - 30 split by default.

8 Likes

Why do game creators get a bigger percentage off UGC than the actual creator? Games already can freely monetize themselves with premium members and now the ads and portals that are being added. So why can’t the UGC creator get 40% of revenue while games get 30%? It just feels a little unfair to us that others are making more money off our hard work than we are.

6 Likes

Hello Dan and Manuel!
I have some questions that i would like to share with you.

1 - As stated on a recent devforum post, you no “longer plan to publish roblox-made limiteds on a regular basis.” , but what would this “regular basis” be, considering the 3 years gap from 2019-2022, and the fact that we didn’t get any new limiteds since early this year? I understand that you’re trying to focus more on the “community” side of the things, but i belive it would be interesting if we still had some new roblox-made limiteds from time to time.

2 - Do you have any plans on making a system where developers can sell their marketplace assets for robux? (Instead of just publishing it for free.)
I belive it would be an interesting feature.

3 - Do you plan on making UGC Limiteds tradeable? In my opnion it would increase a lots of demand for them!

4 - Are you still going to make something with Gears and Classic Faces/Heads? These item types never got any new update/features in years, and the last time we got any of them on the catalog was in the mid of last year!

I hope you all have a great day! Thanks.

3 Likes

Our goal is to make Roblox available on any relevant device or platform. We believe VR offers great opportunities for immersion and shared experiences. At this time, we don’t have anything to announce but stay tuned!

13 Likes

Our goal is to make Roblox available on any relevant device or platform. Our vision for the Universal Roblox App is to have a seamless and consistent experience on every device that, at the same time, captures the richness and uniqueness of each device. Console is a big area of focus for us and we will continue to improve the experience there.

Stay tuned for future announcements.

13 Likes

Hello Dan and Manuel,

1. Are there any plans with audio marketplace? Audio needs to be upgraded.

2. Well about fonts, is there a plan to add more fonts? Moreover, I am unable to delete a font from an inventory. It doesn’t show me all fonts in the properties, and I cannot search fonts in Studio.

3. Will anyone be able to upload videos?

4. Can we expect RTL to be released in 2023?

5. What is the reason behind Roblox’s 2016 decision to remove the Moderation History? In my opinion, Roblox should bring it back.

6. Roblox Moderation needs to be improved since I’ve been banned several times for false moderation.

9 Likes

What does the devrel team think about doing an “AMA” once every month to provide more transparency to the community about the changes being made to the platform?

14 Likes

What is going on with SurfaceAppearance.Color?

Will we also be receiving ZIndex for SurfaceAppearance soon?

7 Likes

Will we ever have a more sophisticated foliage system, similar to the foliage tool offered in Unreal Engine?

11 Likes