Creator Roadmap - AMA with Nick and Tian [Oct 4, 2023]

Will we ever get official support for control over the avatar editor backgrounds and VR home enviroment? Currently it’s unoffically possible by tinkering and swapping the mobile.rbxl and the file responsible for the home enviroment. I gave it a try and it looks pretty cool, the only downside that the skybox outside is theme-colored alongside with a thick fog.

6 Likes

I’m ranking my questions based on priority now, so here’s another:

How much of a priority is it to improve Hyperion to patch more exploits which lead to executors/injectors continuing to work? Right now, even after the 64-bit client, anti cheat is still a high priority because of people using injectors, mainly via the UWP app.

5 Likes

I’ve seen that Roblox is adding a new feature for webcam upper body tracking and has recently launched on the Meta Quest. Will there be any future plans for Roblox to support full body tracking for VR?

1 Like

Actually, the UWP application does have Hyperion inside of it (quite a long time ago). I’m not going into the specifics but currently no exploit executors/injectors are working (from my own knowledge).

Will we ever have API access to AI?

This one is more out there, but I’d figure I’d ask anyway.

Examples:

• AI language model for use in NPCs or story generation, as an example.
  • Live generation of 2D and potentially 3D assets in an active server.
  • With the scripting AI: Use explorer context when generating results. (Reading the explorer data to produce more accurate results.)
1 Like

I have four questions.

1. At RDC and an investor’s call, something was mentioned about clothing designing changing on the platform. Rather than it being done with a flat template and being overlayed as a texture like the current way to do 2D clothing, you would paint a texture over a layered clothing mesh. What exactly does that entail?

2. Will the ability to customize studio icons entirely be possible in the near future? I asked this in the previous AMA but didn’t get an answer.

1. Why can’t we view sales on our assets through the dashboard, and why is the ability to view sales through the API removed?

2. What happened to expanding the UGC program for classic, 2D faces? When UGC was first announced, we were told that this would happen? But based on this statement regarding the release of UGC faces, I am not entirely sure.

3 Likes

first, thanks for the question. to clarify, at any age, you can verify your account using your email address or phone number. for ID verification, we do require users to be 13+, and some features, such as video upload, are currently limited to 13+ users. more about age verification can be found here.

1 Like

Hey EuropoorSimulator!

Thanks for sharing your questions. To ensure we’re engaging with as many creators as possible we ask that everyone keep to one question per message. Can you reduce or consolidate? Thanks so much!

3 Likes

I can confirm exploit reports in my game are down by a lot, the last reported exploit was 9/11, nothing since then. I used to get at lest 4 a day.

right now models and plugins are the assets most used by our community in Creator Marketplace, and we believe they have the highest potential for earning for our creators today. currently, the plan is to expand Creator Marketplace to allow selling of models in addition to plug-ins.

we are always looking to expand the ways creators can earn, so we are considering other asset types in the future. some of these may have significant IP hurdles that would need to be addressed, so we are not supporting those yet.

3 Likes

as mentioned in my response to YasuYoshida, we’re not yet ready to support selling other asset types beyond models and packages, but are certainly looking into it!

1 Like

Will there be different graphics settings for the ROBLOX client? Currently, the client only has a single 1-10 bar to adjust graphics, which doesn’t give players a lot of room to adjust certain aspects about the performance of the game. I’d love to see different options such as effects, post-processing, rendering distance (up to developer StreamingMaxDistance), anti-aliasing, shadow quality, and a lot more.

10 Likes

Will we see more tools to improve testing in Studio?

Examples:

• Simulated hardware limitations for a given hardware profile. (Preferably with the option to add custom profiles.)
  • Solve minor parody issues between simulated and live devices. (An example would be a particular issue with text scaling in a scrolling frame, but I had found another solution around it a while back.)
  • Being able to enable/disable or switch between emulated devices while in test mode.
  • Simulate lower/custom network speeds. (Ping.)
  • Fix test server closing. (It only closes all studio windows if you click “Clean Up” in the server window, and no other window.)
3 Likes

I had asked this in the previous one but it got locked.

Whats in the pipeline regarding plugin functionality, one feature I’ve been requesting for a few months now is deeper access to the underlying analysis tooling (AST tokens etc.) to make reading script behaviour and shape easier.

Hi Nick and Tian!

First of all, thanks for staying transparent with the community. You’re absolute legends for doing so.

I asked this during the last AMA but it was never answered.

As someone who works with translations in my work, the manual localization tools are very lackluster and broken at best. It has forced us to move entirely off-Roblox with localization and utilize the downloadable .csv file.

While that has its ups and downs, will we see improvements coming to the Translator Portal?

Right now, the translator portal just outright rejects any and all strings that trigger the filters without telling us what exactly has been filtered out, nothing distinguishes the AI translations from manual ones at a glance and there are a few other QOL things that the portal desperately needs (made a devforum post about it in Nov '21 and there are still no changes, hell the new localization portal made some of the highlighted issues worse.).

Roblox pushes for connecting the world pretty heavily but looks to have dumped the translators somewhere on the road there and isn’t looking at us at all. I hope to hear from you guys about this :smile:

3 Likes

I know this is a very frequently asked question so I’ll post it here and ask on the behalf of many, so it can be answered officially:

Will there be any plans on increasing DevEx rates? The economy is changing both in ROBLOX and the world itself, however DevEx rates don’t reflect the changes. I won’t go too much in detail, but the post below gives great reasons:

https://devforum.roblox.com/t/roblox-needs-to-increase-devex-rates-and-why/1533966/

5 Likes

Privacy is of utmost importance. When a government-issued ID is scanned for verification, an anonymized value is generated, which allows Roblox to verify ID without risking exposure of the user’s real identity. If you’re 13+, ID verification is sufficient to access all features and capabilities for creators on Roblox, excluding 17+ content and experience development.

It’s important to note that age verification is entirely optional. Creators can continue to enjoy Roblox without going through this process, and if they’d like to gain access to features that may be limited/restricted by age, they can consider ID verification.

2 Likes

Hi, thanks for replying!

It’s optional for now, but as Roblox rolls out more and more important features locked behind this wall, won’t a time come when the non-verified development experience is so kneecapped and so limited that developers are borderline forced into verifying?

5 Likes

Are there any plans to increase server memory? It’s no secret that games in ROBLOX are getting much more realistic functionality wise and visually, and I feel like we should be equipped with more memory to maintain these higher realistic projects. I understand a lot of it is on the developer to optimize and use resources sparingly, but eventually some developers will hit the ceiling of the current 6.25 GB limit of server memory (before the server crashes when it hits the limit).

Here’s a post with better reasoning and in-depth detail, along with many people wanting this:

60 Likes

With future changes to voxel lighting, is the implementation of a more visible representation of PBR normal map effects planned? Currently, that’s the main thing (other than translucency) holding back my projects that use Voxel lighting from a much higher standard of quality.

3 Likes