Creator Roadmap - AMA with Nick and Tian [Oct 4, 2023]

Why can’t we as creators view the sales of our assets in the creator dashboard or the API?

1. using earned revenue in fiat currency to pay for creator marketplace assets is not currently on our roadmap, but we will take a look into what’s possible, as we want to provide as much flexibility as possible.
  2. currently, we have price floors but are planning to update them around the time we launch the changes to Creator Marketplace we announced at RDC.
  3. we said 2024, but obviously i’d want it out ASAP too!
6 Likes

thanks for the question. it’s a big change, and we’re being extremely thoughtful about changing the requirements. we are still finalizing the requirements for avatar items for opening up creation to everyone. the economy team plans to share a detailed post with final requirements in the coming weeks.

4 Likes

Are there any plans in future to allow for developers to let our users select a Lighting technology of their choice? Currently, the main game I work on uses voxel lighting due to wanting to remain accessible to as many users as possible, but we’d love to be able to use future lighting for users who are willing to accept the higher computational cost. To my knowledge, this couldn’t be changed without rejoining a game as the lighting technology gets initialized during client loading, but would still allow for much higher visual fidelity without a reduction in player counts due to players perceiving lag.

3 Likes

At RDC 2022, the common sentiment amongst the Studio team that I talked to was the desire for developers to use Roblox Studio and no 3rd party tools (VSCode etc.). With “Fitting Your Workflows” it seems that Roblox’s thoughts on 3rd party tools may have changed.

Is the goal to enable developers to use 3rd party tools? I’m namely interested in VSCode as Rojo has been the only option for 3rd-party coding for years now.

My question is very deep-rooted, as of recently we have seen Roblox pushing a lot of harsh updates that impact our workflow deeply, think Experiences using Marketplace Items - Policy update, the polar-opposing opinions (both positive and negative) of the new CoreGUI “upgrade” (discussed here) and the previous audio-privacy update.

These “updates” are major changes made to developers’ workflows, sometimes with little to no notice and seemingly no developer consultation before release. Is there anything being done to reduce the amount of these harsh updates and / or ensure that no developer is unfairly impacted by a decision made that clearly did not respect the creative vision of their experience?

2 Likes

Hello and thanks for the ama.
Will we ever have custom grass? triangles are kinda bad now.
And will we have editable normal map density like in unity? It will be REALLY useful, currently we need to use third party apps to edit normal map’s density which takes a lot of time and effort.

oh this is a great question and what an interesting idea. as you know, we just launched video uploads today. videos are private for now, but we are looking into making audio and video more easily shareable with groups and friends (it’s on the roadmap) by the end of the year and other asset types next year, which could make your idea possible. let us know how it goes!

we’re excited to see your interest in Android Future is Bright, and we’re currently targeting a beta release before the end of this year. we’ll have more information to share as we get closer to the release.

5 Likes

Thank you for your question. We’re currently focused on improving our terrain’s overall performance and scalability. Internally, we’ve started to think about the future of materials on Roblox. This is a great request, and we’ll take note while we explore the best solution for all creators.

9 Likes

We’re currently focused on improving terrain’s performance and scalability. We’re always open to hearing feedback and suggestions from creators. If you have any specific asks around what type of controls you’d like to see, we’d love to hear it.

5 Likes

We don’t currently have plans for full body tracking, but in 2024 we will be extending our facial tracking tech to the upper body. Working seamlessly with our existing Facial Animation Stack, this real-time animation of your avatar’s upper body will work sitting, standing, and when the body is partially hidden.

3 Likes

The plan is to be on Qt 5 (Qt 5.15.9 to be accurate) for the redesigned Studio. The docking issue is not related to the Qt version and has already been addressed for >99% cases and we are rolling out this month a change that will address it completely.

8 Likes

hey thanks for raising the topic. in general we’re always looking for responsible ways to give creators more ways to earn. it’s part of the reason we announced the creator marketplace changes with 100% of the net proceeds (excluding tax and payment processing fees) to the seller. while we’re constantly discussing this internally, we have no additional updates to share at this time.

3 Likes

Yes, the accessory refinement tool will allow you to position accessories. Launching in 2024, the API will help you build tools in your experiences to fit accessories perfectly to any avatar. It will allow you to move, scale, and rotate any accessory, including hats, glasses, clothing, etc. This will first be released as an API for developers to add to their experiences. Eventually, we plan for it to be part of the Avatar Editor.

6 Likes

At RDC, we recently shared that we’re working on flex layouts for responsive design and style sheets that let you change the look and feel of your UI–and 3D elements–with one click. We’re always looking for more ideas. If you could wave a magic wand, what one improvement would you like most?

5 Likes

appreciate the feedback nobledraconian! we’ve had to make some tough decisions around sunsetting programs over the past few years. as our community grows, much of what existed previously no longer fits our global community today. we have issued statements ahead of the sunset of the programs you mentioned (i.e. Accelerator), and we are always looking for new opportunities to empower our evolving community with programs and tools that fit them today and in the future.

that said, we are actively addressing the backlog for the Dev Awards, and recently shared an update on the Verified Badge to share more detail on how it works.

4 Likes

Are there any plans to add different texture filtering modes, for example, Nearest neighbor, Trilinear, and Anisotropic? It would be very useful for pixelated textures and general graphical improvements.

3 Likes

hi thanks for the question! in general, we are absolutely thinking through sophisticated use cases like yours, as well as the needs of larger organizations. we want to simplify collaboration, access control, and revenue sharing. we are working towards a future where you can be more granular about who has access to do what within your group (for example, providing edit access to only a specific experience, rather than all of them).

for revenue, we’re also looking at providing better tooling so that you can configure payouts in a way that more accurately reflects your collaborator’s contributions to various aspects of your group (for example, an individual experience). we’ll share more about our long term vision for groups in the coming months.

7 Likes

Honestly, the single most useful thing for UI, in my opinion, would be SVG support. It’d solve a lot of issues with scalability and provide an easy route for people already experienced with UI/UX design to easily do work on Roblox, while also allowing for a way to use custom fonts made by creators. As much as I desperately want acrylic/blur effects available for UI elements, I feel that SVG support would be the biggest long-term improvement one could make to Roblox’s image support and UI functionality.

2 Likes

In terms of UI, I’d personally most like to see being able to invert UI elements using negative size to see a mirrored version of it, especially in the case of ViewportFrames.

I’m looking forward to other visual effects, but I think I’m most interested in that one at this moment.

The main improvement I’d like to see for terrain is being able to adjust the properties of grass/water, and preferably all terrain, non-globally.

Additionally, I’d like to see terrain water work as a material that you can apply to a part. This would be incredibly useful, especially if that part can have unique water properties.

I would ask the same for decoration like grass being able to be applied to parts, but water is more important for me right now.

1 Like