Creator Store: Buy and Sell Plug-Ins with Real-World Currency

Let’s hope this doesn’t move on to other pats of Roblox… I am NOT entering my card number just to buy a T-shirt for my avatar.

3 Likes

This update would be great if it didn’t cut people off from unsupported countries. There are a lot of developers who also want to create or even banally buy the same plugins, but they can’t, just because they don’t live in the right first-world country.

Although, of course, it’s good that at least some developers have the opportunity to monetize their work.

2 Likes

Roblox do not plan to roll this out player-side. This is a developer-side economy change only.

1 Like

Personal experience arguments - both your own and borrowed - are not evidence.

Oh. You want specific examples? Sure thing, let me give you an example or two.

In August 2016, Roblox disclosed a data breach that affected over 50k users. The security incident impacted email and IP addresses, usernames, purchases and Robux balances which were left exposed on a test server.

In July 2023, a list of alleged attendees from the 2017-2020 Roblox Developers Conferences was circulated on a forum. The data contained 4k unique email addresses along with names, usernames, dates of birth, phone numbers, physical and IP addresses and T-shirt sizes

Would a group, which U.S. Department of State is hunting down and is giving away tens of millions of dollars for any information about said group - for doing stuff like this in the past and revealing information like that lie about this? Unlikely. They had their demands, and they were likely met behind closed doors.

Would you sleep at night better if they revealed all that information?

It’s relevant because you’re giving away your information to a website which is less secure than roblox. It’s also relevant because this shows you how much less secure it is than roblox. They determine the security by means like website security, email security, network security and so on and forth. You can check out their website for more information.

Oh, by the way, there was one data breach on a website connected to Stripe from what I remember. You couldn’t use that website’s data anywhere except on Stripe to get credit card information of the victim. Paypal was more secure than this.

This is all important because the more parties are involved in processing my personal information then the more risk I take with that information being leaked. Especially since that info is going through websites that have had data breaches or have been involved in them in some way.

This is why this update is bad. It only puts innocent people into unnecessary risk and danger that could have been easily avoided but roblox chose not to.

Roblox looking into my issue at all?

There is a bug on the transactions page where the Rows per page is not correct.

Bug report: Incorrect amount of transactions showing in Creator Store > Transactions

1 Like

Terrible honestly.
Can’t describe how mad I am after seeing this.
Can’t even buy a plugin for 25 robux without it being real money, at first i tought real world purchasing would be good.
But why not allow it to be purchased with robux too?
U just ruined it for the developers who can’t spend real money and instead want to invest their games earnings.

5 Likes

NO. Plugin developers have been taken advantage of enough. It is exactly as you said:

Do you think your work is worth a dollar?

Even if sales add up, there is no guarantee your plugin will sell well.

Roblox has finally decided to stop paying developers in monopoly money. I agree that a different and better approach would have been keeping Robux an option for now and raising the devex rate instead, but that still wouldn’t satisfy for the amount of work that goes into these plugins.
Issues regarding the devex rate are debatably real, but this plugin update is a good thing that should be encouraged. I know the frustration of not being able to ID verify, but there is hope for younger developers as the post suggests:

Roblox doesn’t always fulfill their promises, but I think we should keep a hopeful outlook on options for younger developers.
I do wish Roblox did not roll this update out so soon though and waited until an option for younger devs was readily available.

3 Likes

As a whole I’m not for nor against this, although I am really annoyed at how unfairly this is against us younger developers. I can get behind why the change was made, but it has removed so much accessibility for both young creators and users who purchase assets. Robux was a simple and accessible option that let absolutely anybody, no matter of age, purchase and distribute plugins.

I’m not an expert by any means but why not keep Robux and to just have it as an unrecommended option, or as an option for developers not eligible of USD pricing?

Now, if I were eligible for selling for USD, I would, and I wouldn’t be complaining as much, but I’d still feel sympathy for those who can’t.

I really hope that the team is able to find a way that will let us under 18 be able to sell our assets, since it has had instantly noticable drawbacks for me at the time of writing. I am, though, still happy that we’re able to sell our plugins for free, if not for Robux.

2 Likes

No, most of it is free entirely lmao. I believe in openness and open source and just rely on donations. I can make enough from commissions to not have to rely on selling a plugin or another resource which would otherwise be free.

4 Likes

Good, but the fear is still there.

That’s great, and I am happy that works for you. /srs
Open-source is great and it’s nice for developers to give free gifts to the community, but what about developers trying to create products?
Paying developers in fun money is fine if the developer is creating a freebie plugin whilst relying on donations, but forcing devs to rely on donations to garner any profit, regardless of whether the plugin is made for community or for profit, says a lot about this platform.

(I apologize if my thoughts came off as strange or anything, I find face-to-face conversation easier than writing forum posts ~le sigh~)

I also believed that plugins should be free and that developers shouldn’t need to charge users to use their plugins, until I read up on how the developer of MoonAnimator felt screwed over a few years ago and how even after winning the bloxys they were still not making enough profit, to the point where they had to start charging users for their plugin.

I really hope this update helps plugin developers who actually rely on plugins for profit, but I guess we’ll find out soon enough

1 Like

The value of Robux is just too arbitrary. The value depends on how you obtained it and then whoever you give it to, the value to them varies depending on what they want to do with it.

400 robux is $5.00 to somebody, and $0.70 to someone else.

1 Like

I do a lot of open-source work, including my plugins, and while donations can work, more people actively refuse to donate than not. While not a plugin, I had a probably >6-figure per year game use Nexus VR Character Model, and refused to donate anything after giving them special support. People are not going to work on super robust tools without being able to amoritze the development cost through others buying it.

5 Likes

This feels like a really bad iddea for me. Almost all my customers are only able to pay trough Robux purchases, forcing me to sell in USD is basically depriving me of all my customers.

I’m already getting ready to lose all my income because of this definitely not well thought update…
This is just getting rid of all the potential customers we had, and surely will make our situation well worse.

1 Like

There needs to be a Robux option for this. The problem with that though is that someone should be able to buy a $2 plugin for $2 or $2 worth of purchased robux(store cards/etc) and/or $2 worth of devex-able Robux(which is obtained by means other than buying it and is valued less).

Figure that one out and you win!

1 Like

Now when will in game transactions stop having a 30% cut on top of a 35% conversion rate = 75.5% cut? It’s embarrassing to be a roblox dev because it is the most exploited I have ever been in my life, it’s more embarrassing than when I was working fast food.

2 Likes

So uh, Would it be possible to revert purchasing plugins back to robux till purchasing it with real currency is completely fixed and possible?
I’m honestly stuck here currently because there’s this plugin I’m trying to get since it would make UIConstraints and such easier to do, However because the feature isn’t implemented completely I cannot buy any paid plugin because all it will say is “Purchasing coming soon, Stay tuned!”

3 Likes

people are for real going to be paying 18 dollars for 10 lines of code now. roblox I think you should start surverys before working on updates cause you never seem to know what we need

4 Likes

Also, may I just respond and say that data breach was never really confirmed with any proof and therefore we can consider it fake?

1 Like