CSG Smooth Edges Tutorial

So firstly, I did not write this!! Vocksel (@VoxelDavid), someone who works as a builder for me did and posted it on imgur. He’s a super talented guy, but only 21 people had seen this tutorial on imgur so reposting it here. I have his full permission, don’t worry!! I’ll leave a link to his RBX Dev nomination and the source at the end.

End result

1. Install CSG Primitives plugin and use it to create a circle. This makes it easier to smooth the edges later rather than using Roblox’s circle mesh
Link to CSG Primitives

CSG Primitives - Roblox

1. Next un-union it (by pressing the separate button right by union and negate) to get all the negative parts

2. Copy and move those along the Y Axis so we can use them later
    eceb4f72e771def69462b12e4a3fea4d2824299b.jpg

3. Union the circle back with the first set of negative parts
    ce17e5006679fd359b2f28ef4cede737d3ba96a0.png

4. Move the current negatives to where the last set was

5. Make the parts regular parts (un-negate?) and then turn them into wedges. David uses Studio Suite for this

Studio Suite link

Studio Build Suite - Roblox

1. Flip them over (So the sloped side is facing the centre) and resize them. All being the same size reduces lighting bugs. The bigger they are, the smoother the curve

2. Extend them out to cover each corner

3. Make them negative parts
    cf28177465236a773d89e43c6694947afe7cd244.png

4. UNION AND WE’RE DONE!!!
    5e33ce7064d4bdffcf88719d4366a73408967989.png

It’s quite possibly the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen.

Uhhh David says he hopes you found his tutorial useful!

David's RBX Dev Nomination and the original tutorial

RBX Nomination: http://devforum.roblox.com/t/vocksel-member-nomination/41342
Original Tutorial: http://imgur.com/a/ieJnM

26 Likes

Pretty cool tutorial, although you’d be better off doing this with meshes; the amount of unioning required for this is gonna send your triangle count wayyy up

7 Likes

I appreciate that he took the time to make such a tutorial but it’s like the most inefficient thing i’ve ever seen.

26 Likes

Not every roblox user has the permission ; neither knowledge to use a 3rd party software like Blender.

Tough i suggest using Blender for most cases.

6 Likes

lmao i was just gonna say that

1 Like

Some people tend to be conservative on such asset creation on ROBLOX - like me.
In my opinion, UserMeshes degraded the mists of creativity that ROBLOX had in it’s long run.

Also, glurbman has a really good point,

Not every roblox user has the permission ; neither knowledge to use a 3rd party software like Blender.

5 Likes

I suppose we’re on completely different sides then.

3 Likes

Or you can change all sides to smooth no outlines

3 Likes