CSG V2 Corruptions

Hey all, it came to my attention that CSG mainly CSG V2 is over simplifying. In other words it is deleting polygons to the point it becomes 2D. If something starts out as a cylinder and you keep on unions a cylinder to it, it just becomes triangles. It seems it happens every time when you keep unioning something.
Just Union a cylinder, duplicate move out out the Union abs repeat. It will gradually get worse. It also seems it’s in every version of studio. Mac + Windows
Examples:
image image
It seems like to a friend it’s been buggy for three weeks or so.

7 Likes

I would have posted in that union bug finder but tbh it warping faster than playing with PlayDoh

3 Likes

This is our new intended behavior since few weeks ago, as strange as it may seem. We are still enforcing the maximum triangle count of 3000, but compared to the previous behavior of giving an error pop-up, we now attempt to simplify the result to 3000 triangles or less, which will of course result in gradual deformation of geometry as the model gets more and more complex.

This is mostly so users can squeeze more value out of the hard limit on triangle count. There will always be room for improvement in the simplifier, but there are also hard limits to what you can do within a 3000 triangle budget, no matter how good the simplifier gets.

We are working on increasing the triangle limit, but it will always be possible to push the model beyond what looks plausible, like what happened above.

You can check TriangleCount in the Properties panel after the Union has completed. If it is close to 3000, the result was probably simplified by some amount already, and unioning more parts to it will necessarily result in further deformation.

Thanks

3 Likes

When did the triangle limit change? Last I remember it was 5000 polys.

Edit: that may be the meshpart limit, nevermind.

1 Like

It’s 5000 for meshes. It used to be 2500 for CSGs, and got bumped up to 3000 for CSGv2. As far as I know, it has never been more than 3000 for CSG.

1 Like

I get the idea but sometime I’d need to maximise the triangle so for instance a part matches with another part. I’d like to suggest a toggle in studio to switch between simplifying and maximum.
Anyway thank you for the explaination

2 Likes

Don’t simplify, export CSG model, import into Blender, do any necessary modifications, reimport as mesh.
Problem solved??

1 Like