Custom Character Not Working

I want my custom character to be able to animate and do stuff, like hold swords, but it won’t work. The issue is that the character is not animating, and it holds swords, but the sword rotates 90 degrees down instead of being held correctly. What I did to make the custom character is run studio and then copy my character to clipboard, and then I stopped studio, and pasted it in. And then, you know, I customized my character and stuff (changed transparency’s of stuff), and to spawn as my character, I used Player.Character = CustomCharacterClone. When I ran the script, my character wouldn’t move it’s body parts aka. Animate, the body just moved. And swords don’t work properly because it points down 90 degrees, well the sword works, but the rotation is just weird :confused:
By the way, I’m not trying to use this character as the StarterCharacter, I’m trying to load myself as the custom character, when I use a chat command.

Here is a free model of the items I used, so you can look into it further, yourself: Items (I revamped some of the assets to prevent copying. I also made some parts visible, so you can see them, if you’re confused.)

Here is a sample of what the sword looks like:

Side Note: The game is R6 AvatarType

If anyone has a solution, please tell me. Thanks!

Roblox has a default character overwrite system. Your character works, it just needs some modifications to its hierarchy and name.

Name your model “StarterCharacter” and remove some of the default scripts and Humanoid children (shown below)

Then parent your StarterCharacter to the StarterPlayer service and play the game. Roblox will setup the defaults for you.

1 Like

@MrNicNac I know that will work, but that’s not my goal. I’m not trying to set the custom character as the StarterCharacter, I’m trying to make it so someone gets spawned as the custom character, when they say a chat command.

If that’s the case, just default your Animate script to Disabled = true, and when you change the character set Disabled to false. It will fix the animation problem.

The default camera, on the other hand, that’s a different issue. You can just set the CameraSubject as the new Humanoid and it should work fine.

1 Like

I already had the camera part in there. I’m gonna try this now. Thanks for your help!

@MrNicNac Hmm… It doesn’t seem to work. The sword is still having the same issues…

You’ll have to show a reproduction. I just tested it and everything is functioning correctly in my baseplate test with your model and that command-line run I did from the server-side.

Hey there, if you are wondering why the sword is pointing weirdly it’s because (I assume) you got the model off some random robloxian, and the thing is, with the regular swords, is the that the Handle’s orientation is not 0,0,0 so fix that and change it to 0,0,0 and try if it words.