Custom character twitches, clips through objects if near other Humanoids

Hello everyone
I am working on a custom character that uses mesh deformation. For the first few days everything was sailing smooth, and I am currently implementing movement mechanics (crouching, dodging, etc)

But 2 days ago I found 2 bugs/glitches that were not present before and just suddenly appeared overnight. Everything worked before and I didn’t make any modifications that should have affected my character in this way. Since then I’ve discovered that these 2 glitches are one and the same, or at least really closely related, but I’ll still divide it to give everyone a better understanding. Also important to note that this glitch only happens in-game, if I play through the website. But if I playtest in Studio it doesn’t happen at all.

Bug #1: Character starts stuttering/spasming, trying to revert to its default pose, but then going back to idle in a loop, making it appear like weird random twitching. It happens if you go near other models that have a Humanoid and a (Humanoid)RootPart in them.
PN3WvMxNgm

At first I didn’t have any leads on what caused this, I assumed I messed something up in my code. I removed all the scripts I added (Custom camera, movement scripts) until only the default Animate script remained (added to your character every time it loads in, I just used it to change the default animations to mine.) And it still happened.
After that, I reverted to an old version of my game that was just a mere day after I started this whole project, and only my idle animation was done. I walked up to a dummy and it still happened. Important to note that at this stage in development this bug was 100% not around. This is why I believe the problem to be caused by a new internal Roblox update, but there aren’t any update logs (even though my client updated several times in the past 2 days) and nobody else is complaining about anything related to this.

Bug #2: Noclipping. When the player starts twitching, it seems that the HumanoidRootPart just gets its collisions turned off all of a sudden. Once clipped into any objects, the character doesn’t get stuck, it acts as if the RootPart still has its collisions off even after the twitching has stopped. If I walk out of a part I clipped into, and try to enter it again, it won’t let me unless the twitching starts again. Video:

Also something I’ve noticed is that if you stand on another character (be it a dummy or player) since only the HumanoidRootPart has collisions on, you will land on it, but you will slowly be pulled/gravitated towards the center of the part. What happens to the player’s animations looks exactly like the twitching, except with movement.

I am sorry but I can’t provide a file or even publish the game as this is a private project. I am just interested if anyone has any experience with this or any idea what it could be.

Fixes I’ve tried:
- Anchoring the HumanoidRootPart. This fix works for dummies, they stop having any of these effects on the player. But since other players also exert this bug onto others, and anchoring them is impossible otherwise it’d freeze everyone in place, this fix isn’t plausible.
- Exporting the character and its scripts to another empty game. The bug didn’t stop.
- Tweaking the Humanoid properties: To be precise disabling/enabling/changing; RequiresNeck, RigType, AutomaticScalingEnabled, HipHeight. No effect.
- Tweaking the HumanoidRootPart properties: To be precise, changing; Massless, CanCollide, CustomPhysicalProperties. No effect.
- Tweaking the Body and Eyes (they are two separate objects): To be precise, changing; CanCollide, Massless, CustomPhysicalProperties. No effect.

My hypothesis: The bug was brought on by an internal update that happened 2 days ago on Monday at around midnight (GMT). Me and my friend also accidentally clipped into a car in the game Funky Friday a few hours after discovering this glitch in my game, although nothing like this has happened since in any other game.

I hope this is true and it will be fixed soon because trying to hunt down the cause of this has been slowly deteriorating my sanity and willpower to continue developing. The fact that nobody else has talked about this just makes any hope even more bleak. Any help would be appreciated.

2 Likes

Not sure about the first one but the noclip thing could be a hip height issue? Kind of sounds like it.

1 Like

I’ve already experimented with the hipheight. It is currently 2.4. Making it any higher would make the character look like its floating, and deeper would be sinking. I’ve set it to 1 and 3 (extreme cases) but the twitching still happened.

1 Like

I fixed it!
Alright I narrowed the issue down to be caused by HumanoidRootParts and their Bones and so I messed around with their properties. When I set the RootPriority to negative it fixed the issue. Both with dummies and players.
Hope this helps anyone who runs into this in the future.

1 Like