Custom emojis in chat

I’m the developer of BetterChat and I was working on a new update that adds custom emoji capabilities, and I wanted to know what the thoughts on it were. It’s like 70% functional, not the 99%+ that I want right now, and needs a lot of work. It’s been unnecessarily complicated to create.

5 Likes

Long time, no see! Will there be sprite support? How will they be uploaded, or will they be hardcoded in the configuration?

Custom emoji support is a nightmare just in practice since you can’t just ask the encoding to display something and figure it out for you, you have to splice text and insert images in the correct way. It’s pretty uncommon to see stuff like this, and usually image-in-text is usually limited to pre or post text, not splitting it.

This could be a good community resource if you uploaded the image-in-text functionality publicly by itself, which would generate a frame taking the provided space of an existing text label. Good for chat, good for developers!

2 Likes

These custom emojis look GREAT! Nice job on this! How long did it take to create?

2 Likes

The emojis or the custom chat?

@alexinite Currently it is hardcoded, but I don’t see why we can’t have sprite supports or custom custom emojis in live-time with configuration options.

In terms of releasing the custom image tags as a stand-alone system, that’s going to be left up to developers to scrape it out of my code. Most of my code is able to be pulled out, however it will need work to work with regular text labels. It’s specifically designed to work with my chat system in mind. Currently, it has a quite hacky system with a flow that’s far too annoying and nuanced to type out quickly.

["vibe_cat"] = { --> Vibe cat
					["Image"] = "rbxassetid://18495257138",
					["ImageRectSize"] = Vector2.new(68.2,68.2), --> Image dimensions / columns and rows
					["Columns"] = 5,
					["Rows"] = 15,
					["Frames"] = 71,
					["FPS"] = 15 --> Above this gets a little too fast to comprehend logically
				}
1 Like

Maybe instead of using typing :emoji: use emoji button beside the bar chat

1 Like

Or both! The commonplace of Discord’s style guide is very nice and most users will just know how to use it by default. When selecting it from the Emoji menu, it will turn itself into the :emoji: format anyways (most likely.)

How about the mobile user that never uses discord, or a kid doesn’t know how to do it

More unlikely than it is probable that someone wouldn’t be able to figure it out!