Custom Hat/Accessory Guide for Humanoids

I’ve had a lot of trouble that could have been avoided if I found a guide, but I couldn’t seem to find one anywhere so I’ve decided to make one just so other people don’t have to guess and check like me.
This is my first guide so it might be a little hard to understand so I’m sorry in advance :stuck_out_tongue:

1. I Like to open a fresh studio window to keep it organized and to avoid any bugs
  2. Get yourself a dummy. dummy.rbxm (10.7 KB)
  3. Match this hierarchy, place your custom hat inside a fresh Accessory object, and name it “Handle” then parent an Attachment to it.
  4. What is this accessory going to be attached to?
    https://gyazo.com/a2eae6694d1a2d0a0c53310208e2f22a, Each part in the character has an attachment or two.
    The accessory will be attached to that part at the attachment position.
    Name the attachment to the same attachment name that you want to attach it to.
  5. Cut&Paste the entire accessory into the dummy, and then refresh the dummy, The way I refresh the dummy is by doing ctrl+x followed by ctrl+v
    https://gyazo.com/060778338df95e751245c5d12a5b4893
  6. Afterwards it’s as simple as moving the attachment in the accessory to get it positioned properly
    https://gyazo.com/4803f9808c2c6219836b5649fb51c14c

Other things:
Make sure the accessories are not anchored
Try Using fresh rigs on new place files
Multi-Part accessories -
You can make an accessory multiple parts, commandscript.lua (556 Bytes) Here’s a simple weld script to help you with that. Mult-part accessories are the same process, except every other part is parented to handle, as long as these parts are welded to the main handle it should work fine.

Giving accessories with scripts -
You can only give a dummy an accessory from the server, if it’s done on the client it won’t weld properly. So you’d have to do your own welding and not rely on humanoids.

Accessories must originate from some storage, I’ve had bad luck cloning an accessory from a different character and pasting it into the desired character.

Bugs-
If you ever encounter anything weird try restarting studio or opening a new studio window.

Feel free to ask any questions or correct me on anything.

For a more up to date and indepth guide, please check out the solution below!

97 Likes

Wow, this seems really cool! I will be sure to try this tutorial, although I can not upload custom hats and accessory this something I believe I could start doing. @mightybaseplate.

2 Likes

Would having a customization system that edits a dummy prior to applying the changes to the actual player bypass the issues of accessories having welding/sizing issues when adding them to a character?

1 Like

Not sure I understand what your asking

For me, I’m pretty uneducated when it comes to how the auto-sizing works for humanoid heads.

I think there’s an object that’s a child of the handle that has something to do with scale, if it doesn’t exist it just won’t scale based on the humanoid head size.

So I think deleting those instances would help with the sizing/welding issues, if you need those for your game I’d fiddle with the values to try to fix the autoscaling problem.

3 Likes

So this method doesn’t exactly work with my character clothes, In Arsenal I’ve seen many characters basically have some type of 3D clothes without any issues with joints and other problems. Here’s an example of my character.

However, I’ve found out that using Weld Constraints works better than accessories but with animations applied it turns into a mess and look like this.

Any clue on how to fix this?

1 Like

I was doing this and the attachment is not moving to the one of the same name. What do I do?

Not trying to self promote or anything, but for anybody still lost here’s my in depth guide to utilizing accessories for this kind of stuff.

Accessory Based Items

3 Likes