Custom Roleplay Names

I am trying to make a game that uses premade roleplay names, stored in a table, to avoid people from inputting inappropriate names and possible bypasses as their name. The game is a survival game and I felt like this would be the right approach, however, the filtering system is really messing up my plans. For example, names such as Adam or Anthony are getting tagged out when you chat them. I understand why this might be happening for privacy reasons, but this is really frustrating and I really hope I do not have to resort to letting the player’s decide their names, which could get messy. Is there any way I can do this or is the filtering system yet again going to mess up what I am trying to do?

EDIT: And so apparently some names work as shown in this example:

1 Like

There’s no way to work around roblox’s filtering system, nor can you create a custom filtering system. If you really want the players to be able to choose names like that, your best bet is to make a list of names they can choose from.

1 Like

I am creating a large table of names, but the issue is some of them get tagged out when someone chats them. I cannot even imagine what kind of filtering occurs for users under 13.

Also something strange to point out is sometimes I type a name and it outputs perfectly fine, then I type it again and it tags it and continues to tag it from that point on.

1 Like

That’s just how the filtering system works, unfortunately there’s no way around this. You might be able to make a custom chat with the default filtering system and uncensor those names, but don’t quote me on that. Alternatively, you could edit the default chat to uncensor them.

I feel like I would get moderated if I did that, so I am not going to do that. I just wish Roblox would fix the filtering system. It is so annoying when unnecessary stuff gets filtered.

I guess I am just going to have to let player’s choose their names which could lead to possible bypasses and stuff like that. Even though my way is more secure, I am going to have to do a less secure way because my way is obviously not possible with the current Roblox filtering system.

In my opinion, the filtering system should be fixed as soon as possible. For years people have been complaining about the filtering being messed up and its about time it gets fixed. I’m sorry if I seem upset, but it really is quite annoying and honestly unmotivates me altogether.

1 Like

It’s not broken though, what you’re getting is intentional. I, among other developers, have asked for a few phrases involving names to be unfiltered before. It’s a very touchy situation.

Some names can be very common (for example, a group name for my roleplay community had the name “Anderson” in it) and thus run into problems like PII or sharing information via chat. It’s the same reason why <13 users can’t use numbers, because of the potential to give out phone numbers or other information that can be used to identify someone.

Don’t take the risk just because names get filtered. Individual bypasses can still be rectified by punishing the user in question, but bypasses on a larger scale will result in you getting moderated for allowing users to abuse features by not patching these kinds of issues.

1 Like

What do you mean by bypasses on a larger scale and how could I prevent these bypasses. The only thing I could think of is by hiring game moderators to constantly check what kind of names users create but this can be very tedious and I don’t think it is a very efficient method.

1 Like

I can’t exactly explain it any simpler than I have in that post but I can try:

If users are bypassing the filter in your game, those are individual cases that moderation can still handle. On the other hand, if many users are abusing features in your game, then your game can get taken down until you restrict features such that people can’t abuse them en masse.

Take a drawing game for example. Let’s assume anything you draw gets replicated. If there are users en masse drawing inappropriate images and exposing that content to other users, the game will be placed under review and you will be asked to fix the feature.

By preventing bypasses, simply put them through the Roblox filter. Any client-side input that must be shown to other players is required to be filtered. Manual moderation is also not scalable so you shouldn’t be hiring moderators for something that can be prevented through development.

1 Like

I am still a little confused, because if many players are bypassing a feature in my game that will be shown to other clients, I agree it should be taken down until fixed. But how would I actually fix the bypasses. The way I see bypasses are strings that get past the Roblox Filtering System, so how am I supposed to fix something that Roblox handles?

If I restrict users from creating names that kinda ruins the whole thing of creating a character for the game. And I already know I can’t use premade names because most of them get tagged out in the chat for 13+ users, I don’t even know how bad it is for users under 13 years of age.

1 Like

That’s just hypothetical. If you’ve already applied all the appropriate measures in order to prevent bypasses but they’re out of your control (e.g. bypassing the Roblox filter), you won’t be held accountable for that. Strings that get past the filter will be handled by moderation.

1 Like

Okay good, thank you for clarifying. To further secure my system I might make an in-game admin panel where some of my developers/staff can view certain parts of a Player’s character data, specifically their character name. Depending on their rank, they should be able to delete a Player’s data if deemed inappropriate or flag it if not a high enough rank.

Would I be allowed to create a system like this?
(I know I wouldn’t be able to catch all cases of bypasses especially if my game somehow gets a lot of players).

1 Like

Absolutely you can if you’d like, however the admin panel will not be allowed to work in raw strings. The names admins see also must be filtered by virtue of string filtering requirements. If that’s understood though, by all means go ahead.

2 Likes