Custom Skyboxes & Orthographic Camera

Hello Forum’ers and Admins, I’d like to recommend a few new Studio features,

1: RGB Skybox
The ability to set the Skybox as any rgb color you wish, and a gradient setting which will let Developers blend their fog/backgrounds into the distance. This feature would only be usable when no Skybox object is inside Lighting.

2: Camera Customization
It’s possible to set the camera’s FOV to ~1 to achieve this, however it doesn’t scale well. It would be ideal to have a setting on the camera which lets us switch the CurrentCamera object between Orthographic and Perspective.

3: Custom Skies
Says it in the name. This update would allow Developers to set the transparency of a skybox, upload partially transparent skyboxes (decal objects with transparent backgrounds), and toggle the Default Nightsky skybox Roblox makes us use. The only reason this is necessary is because of the TimeOfDay value, which will force Nightsky onto the skybox at ‘night time’.

I’m aware some of these have been proposed before (I recall seeing threads on some of these and talking about #3 in-depth at RBX HQ at the Jira meetings), however I believe it’s worth re-stating because having these in our tool belts as Developers would be awesome.

23 Likes

I agree with 2. completely, but I just don’t feel like the two other are the best solutions to ship into ROBLOX. But that’s just my opinion.

2 Likes

Since we’re talking about skies…how about a custom texture for reflections?

For a while reflections just used the default skybox but then they were changed to be more dynamic using whatever the skybox was presently set to.
Nobody can deny that having reflections borrow the sky you’re using is a lot smarter, but the ability to input our own texture/skybox for reflections (separate to the sky) would also be great for certain scenarios.

2 Likes

This could/should be split into multiple threads (in appropriate categories, if it’s an engine feature then it goes in Client Features and not in Studio Features). Also the title is too broad, it doesn’t really say anything.

1 Like

Then it should go to reflections itself, not skyboxes really.

Fixed the title, hopefully that helps. I put them all here because I didn’t want to spam the forum.

1 Like

Want to point that the first feature should be possible via use of billboardguis. The skybox was being left behind for long periods throughout the history of Roblox though :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s weird seeing say a mirror reflect the clouds in a building lol

2 Likes