Custom Textbox using ChatInputBarConfiguration does not Focus on Keybind Pressed

When using a custom textbox through ChatInputBarConfiguration.TextBox, the keybind for focusing the textbox does not work no matter what I do. Since I cannot use TextBox:CaptureFocus() through scripts, I am forced to require all users to click on the textbox to be able to chat. This makes it impossible for PC players to be able to chat when their mouse is locked.

I also noticed it doesn’t have IsFocused set to true when the textbox is focused either. Is all of this an oversight, perhaps?

Video:

I ensured to show the code of the chatbox to show it’s not my code blocking the interaction

Expected behavior

The custom textbox is focused when pressing the keybind set through ChatInputBarConfiguration.KeyboardKeyCode.

System information

CPU: Intel(R) Core™ i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60Hz
GPU (0): Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630
GPU (1): NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti

4 Likes

Hey, can you upload your rbxl file? That would help the engineers a lot!

2 Likes

Here is an exact replication of it with an added comment to the script I showed in the video. Everything is inside the StarterGui!
ChatInputBarConfiguration TextBox Bug.rbxl (48.6 KB)

1 Like

Is there any update on the situation here? I’m currently experiencing this in my game as well…

As of July 7th, 2023, this is still not fixed. It is 11 days until a whole month this issue has existed. I am hoping it gets patched soon as this makes it infuriating for users who want to make a completely custom chat system using TextChatService.

As of September 20th, 2023, it continues to still not be fixed. This is a major issue for games that want to use this custom behaviour.

As of October 11th, this issue still occurs! I am surprised this has not been fixed yet

It is a bit of an exerience breaker, it seems the only workaround is to instruct players to enable UI navigation and use that to select the chat textbox while the mouse is locked :frowning:

1 Like

Any update? We want to use TextChatService for a while in Frappé but this bug is a dealbreaker. We want to use a custom TextBox because we have existing features which require direct access to the textbox (i.e. connecting to events).

Any updates? Still having this issue in my game where I cannot focus the textbox with “:CaptureFocus()” or using the keybind.

Currently, no update so far at all