Custom textures for terrain

Or roblox simply upload more textures per material, you would be able to choose between “Realistic Grass” and “Cartoony Grass”

In the early forms of Smooth Terrain there were these textures, which I was really fond of.

Even giving terrain the option for “Legacy Materials” Where default grass terrain would be replaced with the grass material

4 Likes

As A Developer, whenever I work with Terrain it sometimes can be very annoying to come up with creative ideas and such for maps when brainstorming Ideas. I’m a person who can get very creative and have a lot of ideas when it comes to unique terrain styles that could be used, But I feel that if an Import Terrain Texture Feature was Added, There could become an Endless amount of Possibilities. One Example of Importing Terrain Textures could be like World of Warcraft’s Mechagon Island.

How could this Improve the Platform?

If this was added, There could be so many new builds and Generations done in Roblox, To add on it could also open a brand new door to People who want to get into Terrain Development as I have and begin their career on Roblox. Many people could also find new ways to add more content to their already existing games on roblox as well!

Here’s a few more images of ways Custom Terrains could be incredible from the Blizzard’s World of Warcraft

1036edee9d7fdaa87c0f6c7a16cb1927200090fb_00

11 Likes

I had to import multiple meshes to achieve this. This is something Roblox should work on as the terrain as it is presents a hindrance, offering useful features which are hindered by the lack of others.

For example, if I want animated grass but the terrain textures doesn’t fit my game, I’m forced to implement hacky solutions such as covering up the terrain with a custom mesh or wedges or using ParticleEmitters which are very obvious and unoptimized for this use.

6 Likes

Support for this! It is currently impossible to have custom texture for terrain and doing so would improve my development and workflow a lot, just imagine all the custom textures users will be using inside of their games instead of relying on part textures to do so.

There’s no way to achieve this goal other than meshes, using textures with both meshes and parts, and mostly relying on textures as an alternative and workaround for custom materials/terrain textures. I personally use custom-made textures from me and then upload them to meshes/parts for an alternative, but that will take up more voxels/memory if you have a large and open-scaled game that is more than 4096 studs.

Side Note: I heard that custom materials and custom terrain materials might be on the way to this roadmap? If not for terrain, then I hope it would come sooner or later.

2 Likes

Good news! This was announced in an RDC video from this year. They are adding support for custom terrain decorations as well.

13 Likes

full on support. This feature can make building with terrain look so much better!

4 Likes