Custom Textures for VoxelTerrain

Now I’m sure some of you have been less than overwhelmed with those textures ROBLOX gave us for voxel terrain, and currently there is no option for a ROBLOX developer to change a texture like that. What I’m suggesting here is being able to customize/change those textures in a specific properties panel for that type of material. This would be quite useful in some cases for realism, where higher definition grass textures would be needed, or for a custom water/liquid texture. This would be similar to the current custom texture panel for parts. there are many other uses for these, too many to list.

• Yes, we need this
  • No, we don’t need this

0 voters

14 Likes

Edited the original post to move this to the “Studio Features” sub-category.

1 Like

Even just the ability to change the colours of it would be great, since the only way to kind of do it is to change the lighting which also messes with other stuff too.

3 Likes

while i’m all in for custom textures, i’d like to know how you want to pull that off. From my understanding water is a series of normal maps going through an animated loop.

3 Likes

Well, I’d probably suggest using the same format as the other things suggested, but for the properties panel on the water voxel, there could be multiple “layers” or maps that you can change, creating the water voxel itself, as you stated. Considering it probably uses multiple normal maps, it wouldn’t be too hard to get some decals or textureID’s entered to look like dirty water or some other liquid (molten lava). Now I’m not suggesting custom animations, just custom textures, so the animations wouldn’t be an open feature to change. Although I’m not sure if the textures would be affected at all by the animations or not.

Layers sounds interesting, i love mixing and matching multiple normal maps.

1 Like

I believe I suggested something like this to zeuxcg at RDC (well, specifically Lava), so the capability is there (I think) but the demand is fairly low

1 Like

That’s a shame, it has so many uses and opportunities. I hope this post goes somewhere.

2 Likes

big support

2 Likes

I’m glad you do! if this ever makes it to the stage of being implemented, i (theoretically) can’t wait to see what people do with it.

1 Like

I still have a build zuexcg handed out that allows you to make custom terrain textures.I Never could get it to work though, I’d get as far as getting the map of textures compiled with the program you run along side it, but when it’d never load up into studio or break the rendering of the diffuse maps. I tried getting it to work again recently following the instructions as closely as possible and had the same results.:T

It was disappointing to see how little attention this thread got… http://devforum.roblox.com/t/smooth-terrain-material-internals/20286

1 Like

Thanks for the post! I didn’t know zuexcg had made this!

“Do you guys want a new feature?”
“Hell yeah!”

I love these Yes/No polls.

I think I mentioned this briefly in the smooth terrain roadmap poll - there are some technical issues that make it very hard/impossible currently to fetch terrain textures as assets. There is some amount of general texture work that blocks it (ability to download textures compressed in a platform-specific format - terrain textures are large in size but small in memory because they use it aggressively), and once that’s done we’ll have to figure out how to solve some of the terrain specific issues for this.

We will however be exploring color customization in the near term.

11 Likes

I’ll leave the poll open, as well as the post itself, for future reference and for any suggestions others would like to make.