Cylinders stretchable like spheres

Perhaps when loading saves from before this proposed update, it could try to automatically fix the cylinders. I don’t think many games would be affected negatively by an update like this anyways.

1 Like

That’s the exact problem – people have been building with it for the past years. It’s not a matter of whether it breaks someone’s workflow right now, there’s just a ton of instances where cylinders are used that way. It would only change the visuals a bit in most cases, sure, but it still should be thought about.

@Zootopia just gave the solution.
Or even something different – a parameter in properties to check/uncheck to be able to keep current resizing and enable resizing I want.

Why is your building more important than others? Why should their creations be broken so you can build in your own way more easily?

Yes, this is a useful feature. No, it’s not so important that it should break existing work. ROBLOX would be a mess if every time we wanted to introduce a new feature we broke existing work. Propose a solution that does not break existing work.

That parameter would be off on default, so no work will be deformed.

Please, let’s stop complaining about it.

This would further bloat the API. It’s like keeping the old terrain system around. This single case might not seem like much, but bloat can build up.

I probably have some old builds with non-uniform cylinders, but this would be a very useful feature looking forward. Converting old saves seems like an ideal solution, assuming it’s not difficult to implement.

Converting old saves could cause issues because it’s changing the size of cylinders. The game might depend on having a certain size.

In which case you’re just scripting your game wrong.

Imagine if roblox could never go beyond 60 FPS because someone’s script assumed that RenderStepped always ran at 60hz, when they should be using the actual delta time. This is similar because the feature wouldn’t actually break most old games, the behavior would just be altered with a stretched cylinder here or there. I highly doubt someone has a script that generates cars with non-uniform cylinder wheels.

Most cylinders with weird sizes are caused by the studio build tools, and those are the cases we should focus on.

3 Likes

EllipseMesh please!

1 Like

It would take me hours to fix all the cylinders in my game with this change :frowning:

A new label in properties to enable stretchable cylinder.

Actually it should be pretty simple to create a fix script to do it all automatically.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.