Data not saving correctly?

So I was trying to save a player’s wins with DataStoreService, but even changing my wins count to 100 still prints Derpee_Kirbee's data has been saved as 0 Wins! Here is the script:

Script
local DataStoreService = game:GetService("DataStoreService")
local myDataStore = DataStoreService:GetDataStore("myDataStore")

game.Players.PlayerAdded:Connect(function(player)
	local leaderstats = Instance.new("Folder", player)
	leaderstats.Name = "leaderstats"

local wins  = Instance.new("IntValue",leaderstats)
	wins.Name = "Wins"

while wait(10) do
		local success, errorMessage = pcall(function()
			myDataStore:SetAsync(player.UserId, player.Name .. " " .. player.leaderstats.Wins.Value)
		end)

if success then
			print(player.Name .. "'s data has been saved as " .. player.leaderstats.Wins.Value .. " Wins!")
		else
			print(player.Name .. "'s data did not save!")
			warn(errorMessage)
		end
	end
end)

game.Players.PlayerRemoving:Connect(function(player)

myDataStore:SetAsync(player.UserId, player.Name .. " " .. player.leaderstats.Wins.Value)
	end)

if success then
		print(player.Name .. "'s data has been saved as " .. player.leaderstats.Wins.Value .. " Wins!")
	else
		warn(errorMessage)
	end
end)

You didn’t get the value of myDataStore to the Leaderstats.Wins. You just updated the value to the data store which is zero.

@Dolphin_Worm I don’t entirely understand what you mean. I am changing the value and waiting for it to print again, but it’s still printing the same thing.

game.Players.PlayerAdded:Connect(function(player)
	local leaderstats = Instance.new("Folder", player)
	leaderstats.Name = "leaderstats"

local wins  = Instance.new("IntValue",leaderstats)
	wins.Name = "Wins"
	--You should add a pcall here to :GetAsync() the player data so when you :SetAsync() the player data it doesn't stay 0.
	while wait(10) do
		end)

if success then
		else
			warn(errorMessage)
		end
	end

Hope you get what I mean.

1 Like

Alright thanks a lot I’m sort of new to DataStores I will try that out

EDIT: @Dolphin_Worm I’m still sort of confused. Why would I need to GetAsync? Why wouldn’t it just get the current leaderstats value instead of an old one?

Are you changing the value of the IntValue on the client? If so, the server cannot see that change.

1 Like