Data Stores Data Loss Issue

Thank you very much. Players are losing their scoresin my game.

1 Like

What a problem we have to do deal with.

Unfortunately my game allows people to have multiple save slots, so I cannot use this method. Using the DataStore2 method though I should be able to check for the timestamp of the last save, or at least a timestamp. If I find something that isn’t 0 I’ll make it error.

2 Likes

Okay, I was under the impression that some individual key read/writes were failing rather than the entire thing. Thanks!

2 Likes

Thank you for the information, I’ve been logging when the datastores in my new game on my own webserver encase this happens to my game.

1 Like

Thank you for addressing this issue.

2 Likes

Yesterday at 5 PM PST we released a fix for this issue. We confirmed with several top developers that they are not seeing further data loss.

Now that the immediate issue is resolved, we are working on a remediation plan in order to help developers restore lost data. We will provide more information in the next day or two once the plan is finalized.

We will also be posting a full incident report explaining how this occurred and what we are doing to prevent future incidents.

Thank you for your patience as we deal with this issue.

101 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Meme posts

I think I speak for everyone here when I say I love how transparent Roblox has been lately when incidents like this occur. Making sure everyone, including developers, stays informed is a policy I could get used to.

37 Likes

:tada: Cool, data loss is fixed! Thank you team for fixing this, and thanks for telling us! This recent transparency is pretty nice.

7 Likes

Loving the fast response from the team :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thank you for very much for this update. I can’t wait for the incident report and hope this will never occur again, although may remain possible.

6 Likes

This is great. I highly agree with @Rocky28447, this response was much needed and I’m happy to hear there are plans to restore lost data.

2 Likes

I have an idea in mind that can solve this problem (detecting data loss) that I will be using… Since the game is paid access, thus not millions play/buy it so in your case it is about 14K yes I check Vesteria daily, saving each player name upon purchasing the access and joining (as getting the purchasers from the revenue tab would not work) and saving them external (maybe google sheets) will keep you with a list of every player that has his data stored… Adding a function that gets triggered if the player is on the list if his data store is nil would let you be able to inform the players to sign out immediately (or just kick them :slight_smile:)
The reason why not to get the players from the revenue tab is that ones who bought it but didn’t play it yet will receive the error due to nil data store.
I hope I helped you with this idea! Sorry if there was any typos due to thr fact that I am on phone…

1 Like

I appreciate the transparency! Is there any information on how widespread/ serious this was and how we can tell if our games have been affected? I’m assuming this will be in the incident report, but any basic information you could give would be helpful to prepare us for attempting to fix the data loss issues

4 Likes

Thank you for letting us know, I love it when you are transparent about issues.

2 Likes

We do not have precise information on which games were impacted. To determine if your game was affected, check for reports of data loss in any communication channels you have with players (e.g. private messages, Discord Channels, group walls). If you keep logs of Data Store requests, you may also be able to determine how many players in your game were impacted by seeing how many Data Store entries were wiped.

3 Likes

No incident report yet?

6 Likes

Hi everybody,

In order to help you restore lost player data, we are going to make a full backup of data stores from prior to any data loss. Because players joined the game after data loss occurred, there is no way for us to automatically resolve conflicts so we are putting full control in your hands.

We will let you know as soon as this backup is available. The earliest possible date for data loss is December 19th, so our backup is from the 18th.

This backup will be exposed through the same Data Stores API that you are accustomed to. In order to access backup data, you will need to prefix your data store name with “roblox_restore_181218_” as shown below:

local dataStoreName = "ExampleDataStore"
local dataStore = game:GetService("DataStoreService"):GetDataStore(dataStoreName)
local backupDataStore = game:GetService("DataStoreService"):GetDataStore("roblox_restore_181218_" .. dataStoreName)

Attempting to write data to backup data stores will throw a 403 error. The backup data stores will be available until July 1st, at which point they will start returning nil values.

You have a few general strategies to restore data:

• Give players the option to restore from backup
  • Manually restore backup data for players who have reported data loss
  • Write code to lazily restore backup data when players join the game

We recommend you go with whichever strategy makes the most sense to you. Please let us know if you have any concerns. Next week we will be posting a full incident report explaining how the data loss occurred and what we are doing to prevent future incidents.

82 Likes

I feel like the best course of action personally would be to add up both data from current player sessions and those who lost data by making a data viewer (e.g. players can access a tab that shows all the data that they previously had). This way, players can send in screenshots or select “merge data” options in order to retrieve lost stats. I’d handle automatic restorations with utmost caution, in the instance that things don’t work out and complications extend.

The support and effort that the engineers have gone through to assist us developers with this detrimental issue is graciously appreciated and I’m sure that the players as well, not just developers, are thankful that an appropriate solution has been reached. I’m looking forward to seeing the Incident Report regarding the data store failure and the push to prevent future issues like this.

All in all, I can’t remember when exactly the Incident Reports category opened but I am grateful that Roblox is providing as much transparency as they can regarding major issues. It’s helpful to be in the know-how of certain situations and how we can adapt or contribute (through Platform Feedback) in the future.

5 Likes

I’ve signal-boosted this onto the roblox subreddit; just so people are aware what’s happening with data files, and why they may see new, unfamiliar prompts and such about data.

I might also code a quick module to allow users to choose individual save files (as defined by the developers) to restore, I’m not sure.

4 Likes