DataKeep - A promise based, auto-saving DataStore module

All though this is nicely done and better than using profile service, I would recommend; that if you have not created your own cached session locking based datastore you should do that. It will help you learn more about the workings of the API when you come across issues.

How to create a session locker efficiently:

Use updateasync so you can get data and set data at the same time. You can set a boolean in the database to see if there is an existing session. If there is an active session retry every second. If after 20 seconds the session is still locked the server might have crashed and just load their most recent data. It is also important to use promises and listen for errors to retry.

This must be with mock store detection or something-- haven’t seen people experiencing this

can you attach a Roblox place file?

1 Like

I don’t know much about promises, can you tell me how I can use KeepStore:andThen(function(store) inside Promise.new ?

Everything in this module returns a promise (or a Promise.new) so from there you can interact as you would with Promise.new

DataKeep.GetStore("PlayerData", defaultData):andThen(function(store)
       -- interact with store
end)
2 Likes

Issue was fixed by changing the SaveInterval in src to 5. I don’t know if there’s a way to have it save data when releasing the keep, but saving on an interval of 5 will make saving more consistent.

For future developers reading this:

You need to be releasing on leave and should resolve it.

1 Like

version 3.0.3: 01/06/2024

Fixed

• Mockstore not returning version key

• Mockstore yield detection flagged false

• .Mock missing API

1 Like

version 3.0.4: 01/21/2024

Fixed

• Impartial saving issues from Roblox’s :UpdateAsync() not working as intended
1 Like

version 3.0.5: 02/13/2024

Fixed

• GlobalUpdates returning nil causing an error
1 Like

I keep having issues with the LoadKeep function. There is a “LoadKeep is not a valid member of DataStore “DataStoreService.PlayerData”.” error that pops up every time I test the game.

I also don’t know whether it is with the way I store things in the table or the way I create the folders. If you know how to solve it, please let me know.

1 Like

This seems like a user problem. Join the OSS discord and ask me there, can provide more help

edit: broken release. continue to use 3.0.5

• Profiles do not automatically clean up internal connections, making the developer have to perform inconvenient clean-ups
  • ProfileService async calls make waiting for Profiles to be loaded difficult. Causing weird patterns when waiting for Profiles; DataKeep is promise-based

These aren’t really huge issues?
All you had to add to solve async calls was making your own promises etc, since ive added promises i have never had an issue with “waiting for profiles”

And if you look into the setup guide, connections are properly cleaned up

I never stated they were! Just preferences and somethings were bothering me so it created it.

Thats exactly what I did here. But just remade everything in ways I prefer.

You don’t have to use the module just preference

2 Likes

heyo, follow up to the broken version (3.0.6)

Please take note of the slight breaking change

version 3.1.0: 03/17/2024

Fixed

• Mock detection fix

SLIGHT BREAKING CHANGE

• GetStore now waits for mockstore detection to finish. Players.PlayerAdded events may fire before getstore is ready. Use a loop of current players first. (See Example)

version 3.1.1: 03/17/2024

Fixed

• LoadCount not incrementing

Added

• Class implementation to Usage docs

version 3.1.2: 05/28/2024

(bug fixes)

(finally)

version 3.2.0: 08/23/2024

• Fixes #21

• Adds Steal option to .LoadMethods

• ForceLoad now waits for previous keep to save data

• :ViewKeep() now correctly calls :GetAsync() and :GetVersionAsync()

• Adds keep:Destroy() for cleaning :ViewKeep()

• Adds TestEZ definitions

• Adds more tests

• Fixed global update edge case

• Cancel :LoadKeep when server closing

• Fix infinite session stealing

1 Like

version 3.2.1: 09/29/2024

• Fixed no waiting between failed saves

version 4.0.0: 10/11/2024

Breaking Changes ! !

• Changed globalUpdate.IDglobalUpdate.Id (Backwards compatible, shouldn’t have any data loss)

• DataKeep:LoadStore() requires wrapper as third parameter (for strict types)

• Default Wrapper now moved to DataKeep.Wrapper

• CriticalStateSignal and IssueSignal moved to DataKeep.CriticalStateSignal and DataKeep.IssueSignal

• .CriticalState.IsCriticalState