DataStore backups

As a ROBLOX developer who sells things and records these purchases using datastores I’m constantly terrified that my code isn’t good enough. Like, it probably is, there’s about 25 different validation methods and if all of them don’t succeed the transaction won’t finish, but it’s just this nagging feeling. This is especially true with any update I push, whether I touch the inventory code or not I’m just worried.

It would be excellent if backups, rollbacks, and mass refunds were available. It’d really clear my conscience.

12 Likes

You should be able to accomplish this with the current state of datastores.
What blockers are you running into preventing you from accomplishing this?

1 Like

With that method doing whole system restoration in case of massive corruption is much more difficult. Additionally, this just pushes the problem to a different point of failure, the backup code. This would be a web feature where you either press backup or have some kind of regular scheduled backup that you can revert to on the website.
The ability to download/upload markup files for datastores would also be acceptable.

I may be misunderstanding your reply, but it sounds like you have some concerns with the proposed solution.

Ideally you should be testing your code to prevent “cases of massive corruption” and if you do experience data loss on a large scale, you should be able to reliably reproduce the date and time of the faulty update and rollback all data easily with an OrderedDataStore since its organized playtimes chronologically .

“Additionally, this just pushes the problem to a different point of failure, the backup code. This would be a web feature where you either press backup or have some kind of regular scheduled backup that you can revert to on the website”

The only way I’m reading this is that you may have an issue with back-up code still being written by the developer, so you won’t be able to hold Roblox liable for issues with datastores. Instead you want to shift the responsibility for good code onto Roblox I imagine?