DataStore non-arrays error

I’m creating a DataStore to save several values within my game. These stats include the following:

• Camos (folder, instances within this folder are StringValues)
  • Specializations (folder, instances within this folder are StringValues)
  • Kills (NumberValue)
  • Money (NumberValue)

This is the code that I’m currently experimenting with:

local DataToSave = {["Camos"] = {}; ["Specializations"] = {}}

for Identifier, Data in pairs(Player.Data:GetChildren()) do
		if Data.Name == "Camos" then
			for _, Camo in pairs(Data:GetChildren()) do
				print(Camo.Name)
				table.insert(DataToSave.Camos, #DataToSave.Camos + 1, Camo.Name)
			end
		end
		if Data.Name == "Kills" then
			DataToSave["Kills"] = Data.Value
		end
		if Data.Name == "Specializations" then
			for _, Specialization in pairs(Data:GetChildren()) do
				table.insert(DataToSave.Specializations, #DataToSave.Camos + 1, Specialization.Name)
			end
		end
		if Data.Name == "Money" then
			DataToSave["Money"] = Data.Value
		end
	end	
	DataStore:SetAsync(Player.UserId, DataToSave) -- this is the line where the error originates from
end)

[18:47:56.422 - Cannot convert mixed or non-array tables: keys must be strings]

At this point I’m out of ideas on what to do, I’ve tried recoding this about 2-3 times already. Any sort of help would be appreciated.

1 Like

Somewhere, you are attempting to save either a userdata value (Color3, Vector3, Value instance, etc), OR you have a mixed table (some numeric indices, and some string indices).

Loop through all your keys and values and call

print(typeof(key))
print(typeof(value))

on them. This will pinpoint your issue for you.

4 Likes

You could probably just convert your camo table and spec tables into string dictionaries instead of number arrays, e.g you could just convert the number to a string using tostring:

-- instead of this:
	print(Camo.Name)
	table.insert(DataToSave.Camos, #DataToSave.Camos + 1, Camo.Name
end
-- do this:
local camoCounter = 0
	camoCounter = camoCounter + 1
	print(Camo.Name)
	DataToSave.Camos[tostring(camoCounter)] = Camo.Name
end

You would then be able to access it efficiently using pairs:

for _, CamoName in pairs(DataToSave.Camos) do
	-- stuff with CamoName
end
2 Likes

After following your instructions, output states the following:
number Instance (x4)

Any ideas if this could be causing a problem? Please note that I am not directly trying to store these instances in the DataStore, instead I am saving either their name or value.

Are any of the values Color3, Vector3, Vector2, UDim2, (etc) Instances? If you are saving Instance.Value on an instance of that type, that would be your problem.

Nope. All instances are either a StringValue or NumberValue.

I used my own test place for Datastore testing and I never got the error even with the same code. This is what the datastore looks like.

It’s apparently the same on the other server. Could TeamCreate be an issue in this case?

congrajhulashions did tonumber on the kills and money and that seemed to do the trick. However we’ve both confirmed that they’re integer values.

2 Likes

team create wouldn’t cause discrepancies in the JSON encoding (which is what is failing in the SetAsync call). If it works fine in another place, then something in the original place is causing a problem. I don’t see any obvious issues with the code provided other than some redundancies.

2 Likes

This seemed to do the trick I guess. I added tonumber() on certain values just as a failsafe and the error stopped occuring. Now it looks like my module is having a hard time loading data. Thanks for the help!

Edit: I also fixed loading. Again, thanks for the help.

2 Likes