Datastore not saving Player's Walk Speed

You can write your topic however you want, but you need to answer these questions:

1. What do you want to achieve? Keep it simple and clear!

Make it so my Datastore saves the player’s walkspeed on their leave.
For a Shop upgrade.

1. What is the issue? Include screenshots / videos if possible!
    Nothing happens even though I have it the exact same as my other code.
    (That does save)
WalkSpeed = PlayerSave:GetAsync("WalkSpeed-"..Player.UserId) -- This is the exact same as the other code that does save but this doesn't.
PlayerSave:SetAsync("WalkSpeed-"..Player.UserId,Player.Character.Humanoid.WalkSpeed)
  1. What solutions have you tried so far? Did you look for solutions on the Developer Hub?

I searched my problem but there wasn’t any other threads so I decided to make this one.

Did you change the walkspeed on the client?

This is most likely happening because the character doesn’t exist when PlayerRemoving is fired. It may be more beneficial to store WalkSpeed as a value in player, and then save that value instead.

1 Like

No, I change it on the server whenever the player buys the shop upgrade. via Remote Events.

But won’t that happen if I store a custom value in the Player. Will it be deleted before I can save it?

Errors? Maybe try to print the WalkSpeed variable.

In addition to what @alphadoggy111 said,

you can’t save instances / values that are no longer exisiting [whether on joining or removing].

What you could do, is store a value called ‘PlayerSpeed’ [load it in the player whenever he joins], make sure its an int value / number [ depends].

And with that, you could save that value [that value will be inside the player as long as he’s in the game, unlike doing that with the character, which is getting disappeared, so it can’t save anything on removal.]

1 Like

There is no errors. The walk speed variable is 16. (The default)

I think the character still exists when the PlayerRemoving event is fired, maybe add an if statement in front of your saving code an print the results?

I’m able to save the other values. Clicks, and Rebirths.

PlayerRemoving essentially fires right before the player is removed which is guaranteed, but that doesn’t guarantee the character / humanoid exists.

Then again, this may not be your error. But, more than likely I’m willing to bet if you run game.Players.LocalPlayer:Kick() in your command bar to simulate a player leaving, and then look at your output, you’ll get something along the lines of a nil humanoid error or nil character error

1 Like

I think that the problem might be that I have this line
to prevent it from making your speed be nil. But I’m not sure.

if WalkSpeed > 15 then

If the walk speed is greater then default speed give the player Walk Speed Datastore value.

For additional confirmation I tested your script and got the following:

You’re probably not getting this error because you’re pressing “Stop” in the test menu, which means PlayerRemoving is inconsistent as the script doesn’t have enough time to fully run before the play session is shut down.

But even in the real game your speed doesn’t save when you leave after buying speed upgrade. Here Try: Clicking MONSTERS! 👹 [V1.03] - Roblox It saves everything but your speed.

Well yes, my theory is that the error message will persist in a live game as well as it can’t actually find the Humanoid. The only reason you’re not getting the error message is because I assume PlayerRemoving doesn’t have enough time to fully fire.

Is everything else in the character, or is it in the player?

Everything else is in the Player.
In the leaderstats Folder.

This would most likely line up with my theory then, give this a try and let me know if it changes.

Also I would highly recommend not using the following code for an actual live game, if you plan on converting this to live game code try to add a pcall for the :GetAsync and try to reduce the potential memory leaks that come along with this.

local DSS = game:GetService("DataStoreService")
local PlayerSave = DSS:GetDataStore("Walk")

game.Players.PlayerAdded:Connect(function(plr)
	plr.CharacterAdded:Connect(function(char)

local WalkSpeed = PlayerSave:GetAsync("WalkSpeed-"..plr.UserId)
		if WalkSpeed == nil then
			WalkSpeed = 16
		end
		local hum = char:WaitForChild("Humanoid")
		local NewValue = Instance.new("IntValue")
		NewValue.Name = "Walkspeed"
		NewValue.Value = WalkSpeed
		hum.WalkSpeed = WalkSpeed
		NewValue.Parent = plr
		hum:GetPropertyChangedSignal("WalkSpeed"):Connect(function()
			NewValue.Value = hum.WalkSpeed
		end)
	end)
end)	

game.Players.PlayerRemoving:Connect(function(plr)
	PlayerSave:SetAsync("WalkSpeed-"..plr.UserId,plr.Walkspeed.Value)
end)

It doesn’t work I tried adding it into my script but it did nothing.
Is there a certain thing I have to do?

1 Like

Ight, lets do this :
[Similar to @alphadoggy111 's solution, but with a pcall]

local DataStore = game:GetService("DataStoreService"):GetDataStore("SpeedData")

game.Players.PlayerAdded:Connect(function(Player)
	local speedData = DataStore:GetAsync("WalkSpeed-"..Player.UserId)
	local SpeedValue = Instance.new("IntValue",Player)
	SpeedValue.Name = "PlayerSpeed"

local success,error = pcall(function()
		SpeedValue.Value = speedData
	end)
	if error then
		SpeedValue.Value = 16
	end

Player.CharacterAdded:Connect(function(Char)
		local hum = Char:WaitForChild("Humanoid")
		if hum then
			hum.WalkSpeed = SpeedValue.Value
			SpeedValue.Changed:Connect(function()
				hum.WalkSpeed = SpeedValue.Value
			end)
		end

end)
end)

game.Players.PlayerRemoving:Connect(function(Player)
	local success,error = pcall(function()
		DataStore:SetAsync("WalkSpeed-"..Player.UserId,Player.PlayerSpeed.Value)
	end)
	if not success then
		warn(error)
	else
		print(success)
	end
end)