DataStore not syncing multiple values

This is an interesting predicament. I’ve built a system that collects and stores the number of letters that a player has touched and when they leave the game, these values are saved to the DataStore. The DataStore works beautifully… for one letter. The rest, it just seems to completely skip over. Let me explain:

local DataStoreService = game:GetService("DataStoreService")
local playerData = DataStoreService:GetDataStore("PlayerData")
local RunService = game:GetService("RunService")

local function onPlayerJoin(Player)
	local leaderstats = Instance.new("Folder") --It's essential that the folder is called "leaderstats".
	leaderstats.Name = "leaderstats"
	leaderstats.Parent = Player

local a = Instance.new("IntValue")
	a.Name = "a"
	a.Parent = leaderstats

local b = Instance.new("IntValue")
	b.Name = "b"
	b.Parent = leaderstats

local c = Instance.new("IntValue")
	c.Name = "c"
	c.Parent = leaderstats

local d = Instance.new("IntValue")
	d.Name = "d"
	d.Parent = leaderstats

local PlayerUserId = "Player_" .. Player.UserId
	local data = playerData:GetAsync(PlayerUserId)
	if data then
		a.Value = data["a"]
		b.Value = data["b"]
		c.Value = data["c"]
		d.Value = data["d"]
	else
		a.Value = 0
		b.Value = 0
		c.Value = 0
		d.Value = 0
	end
end

local function create_table(Player)
	local player_stats = {}
	for _, stat in pairs (Player.leaderstats:GetChildren()) do
		player_stats[stat.Name] = stat.Value
	end
	return player_stats
end

local function saveData(Player)
	local player_stats = create_table(Player)
	local PlayerUserId = "Player_" .. Player.UserId
	local tries = 0
	local success
	repeat
		tries = tries + 1
		success = pcall(function()
			playerData:GetAsync(PlayerUserId, player_stats)
		end)
		if not success then wait(1) end
	until tries == 3 or success
	if not success then
		warn("Could not save data.")
	end	
end

game.Players.PlayerAdded:Connect(onPlayerJoin)
game.Players.PlayerRemoving:Connect(saveData)
game:BindToClose(function()
	for i , v in pairs (game.Players:GetPlayers()) do
		saveData(v)
	end
end)

When I’ve collected letters, both in the studio and on Roblox itself (and yes, I have API services enabled), the leaderboard updates and functions as it should. But when I leave the game and return, it seems that the a’s store just fine, but that’s it. Everything else is back to 0. When I use print(player_stats) in the saveData() function, it prints a table of all the letters I’ve collected in-game perfectly fine. Somehow, for some reason, only the first of those four values are actually being uploaded to the DataStore.

Others have said that the game may be quitting before the DataStore has been written into, which is why I’ve implemented the BindToClose function at the bottom of the script. But that didn’t do anything, it seems. What could I be doing wrong? I must have messed up the syntax somewhere, or maybe I don’t fully understand how DataStore tables work.

P.S. I’ve changed the variables for privacy purposes, but that shouldn’t affect the script you see here online.

You use GetAsync() in the saving data statement, you want to use SetAsync(). This still doesn’t explain why it saves for 1 letter.

Try:

playerData:SetAsync(PlayerUserId, player_stats)

Total mistake on my part! I was fooling around with IncrementAsync() before I made the post, and I changed it back to the wrong thing.

I fixed it to SetAsync() but unfortunately the issue persists.

1 Like

Scratch that, it works! Thanks a lot for your help.

Any way to get rid of that “DataStore request was added to queue. If request queue fills, further requests will be dropped. Try sending fewer requests.” warning in studio?

That triggers when you send to many requests at once (I think you can only send a request every 6 seconds). Your code could send up to 3 requests in a row. I would add a higher wait time (you could up it to 10 seconds or so):

When the player leaves, the function already has all of their data so you could technically wait an hour and then save the data. Basically just increase that wait to a much higher time.