DataStore2 vs. GetEnveloped's Datastore Handler

I’m looking to use a datastore system for my upcoming game. Over time, I’ve narrowed my possible choices to Kampfkarren’s DataStore2 and GetEnveloped’s Datastore Handler.

I know DH uses tables to save data during the server, and I’m a little more clueless about DS2. My main concerns are ease of use and data loss. From what I can see, DS2 is somewhat harder to use than DH, but reports 0% data loss (DH doesn’t have statistics on data loss).

I’m curious as to what others would do or think I should do with these systems – additionally, if there are hidden drawbacks that I overlooked, someone pointing them out would be undoubtedly valuable!

2 Likes

I’ve used DS2 a little bit, it’s pretty easy imo as it does all the Joining/Leaving, game closing and data caching stuff for you. All you really need to do is the :Get() and :Set() for your data under a certain key. I recently switched to Quenty’s datastore system though and its now my go-to. I wouldn’t really worry about data loss too much, i’ve used the most basic of datastore systems in the past and have never had any problems with that. Just use smart autosaving in certain intervals along with proper bindtoclose handling and chances are you’ll be good (part of the reason i like Quenty’s as it has the built in autosaving and StoreOnValue change.)

Datastore2 seems to be more actively worked on and has a larger user base than Datastore Handler, it also has quite a few tutorials you could probably look into.

2 Likes

Are there any practices I should specifically avoid with regards to DataStores in general?

I’ve only ever worked with DS2, and from what I can say as long as you read up on the documentation and playtest your scripts it’ll work out for you wonderfully. I apologize I can’t say much about DH as I haven’t heard about it until now.

Just don’t abuse the datastore API really, otherwise you’ll hit limits. Should only have to GetAsync and Set/UpdateAsync once unless autosaving. Don’t save things that don’t need to be saved either. Most of the Datastore modules out there though handle that for you now so if you are using one of those then that shouldn’t be a worry.

2 Likes

You should 100% use DataStore2 as it is definitely more reliable than what I’ve created a long time ago.

1 Like

Well, I can say I definitely wasn’t expecting you to pop up here :joy:

I look forward to using DS2, though I’ll apologize in advance to every person in this subcategory, because I’m gonna have a heck of a lot of questions!

1 Like