Datastores : Ability to "use" DataStoreService in local place files

As a Roblox developer, it is extremely difficult to use datastores in unpublished or local place files. In order for developers to effectively “use” datastores while not working in published places under an experience, developers have to write their own “mock” datastore services in luau. While this gets the job done, this puts unnecessary burden on the developer. Any time new datastore features are added, any limits are changed, or any parameters are added, the developer now has to update their “mock” datastore library to be 1:1 with what Roblox’s APIs do. This also requires the developer to actively maintain their “mock” datastore library, which is not always possible. Time is limited, developers are busy with their own games, etc. While there are some libraries that exist, they are not actively maintained due to the aforementioned issue of time.
This is unnecessarily difficult for what should be a built-in feature of DataStoreService.

When working in an unpublished place file, DataStoreService should simply store the data temporarily. Any datastores that are created or keys that are created would be discarded after a “play solo” test or a local server has shut down. Any reads to these datastores or keys would return values that are being cached during that test session.
In this mode, DataStoreService would behave exactly like it does in a normal published place - same limit rates, same size restrictions, etc… except instead of the data being stored in actual datastores, it’s just cached in local memory since it’s an unpublished place file.

Having the ability to “use” DataStoreService in local files allows data systems to work in unpublished files, meaning developer code does not break simply because it is running in an unpublished place file. This makes the code work in a larger variety of workflows, specifically those that are heavy on external-tooling (such as rojo). This also gets rid of the need for developers writing their own “mock” libraries, reducing the burden on developers who simply want to test their datastore code without needing to go through the hassle of publishing a place.

12 Likes

Nexus Data Store (replacement for PlayerDataStore) offers this type of functionality to work offline because it is very useful for local testing. Even for non-files, I contribute to a game that has DataStores and other APIs disabled in Studio and I test my code in another game entirely because I want to test with DataStores. My options are either no DataStores that error or fully functional and persistent DataStores that affect the live game.

4 Likes

Please, do everyone a favor and stop responding to bug reports and feature requests if you don’t have anything meaningful to add. The majority of these posts are completely off-mark and not relevant to the discussion.

Only respond to bug reports and feature requests when you know you have the expertise to answer. You’re just going about these categories reading the docs and trying to formulate a smart-sounding reply which is not helpful and disrepects the topic creator by making them waste time reading and responding to this.

10 Likes

Hi @Noble_Draconian,
Thanks for this feature request. I will review this with the Data Stores team to prioritize and review options for implementation.

5 Likes

Hi @Burgundy2014, thanks! Am looking forward to any potential good news that might come from this. :slight_smile:

If you have the chance could you bring up this ordered data store feature request with the team as well?

Thanks,
Ethan

@OneEDM Yes, I will review the ordered data stores request as well.

3 Likes