DDoS attack on game

I would put a foot down and try to do something if I could, and very firmly I would do it.

Too many years this has been a problem for such a small fractional part of the Roblox platform. I understand some of these other repliers are a bit skeptical to the whole situation, but that is because they simply do not come from the groups/guild/clan community. Had they have any background in that community they would understand that we have suffered a lot in the past years. And yet idly we all stand because a solution has not been found. Disappointing however when it’s a circumstance like this, where you have a small percent of people being affected majorly by a force they cannot control, typically no one will put an effort into helping. Either because they cannot see that people require help, they are too ignorant to understand helping other is a good thing, or some other bizarre theory. It does not make it right though. We are still a part of this platform, and this isn’t the first forum post that has been made about their game being ddos’ed due to personal-vendettas.

Seriously, can we get a darn solution already? I understand that the groups and clans are such a tiny fraction of this enormous platform, but where is the logic to explain how the neglect that we have been given is just? It isn’t right, none of this is right at all. People are destroying experiences and all the while it goes quietly into the dark only to repeat itself the next day and the next, until the individual being extorted gives up and gives in by paying the ransom, quitting their community, or quitting Roblox as a whole.

This injustice has gone on for far too long. Someone please help us, and OP–if a solution is not found I desperately urge you to keep trying.

5 Likes

I contacted Developer Relations via email about this issue and provided them with precise timestamps and logs; I received the normal “the engineers are investigating this issue” response and have not heard from them since. It’s been nearly a month with no response. This support experience is atrocious, and Roblox is effectively communicating that they don’t care.

Roblox is putting this weight on developers, who have no control over the servers on which Roblox runs. Developers who are criticised, developers who see their income and passion diminish. This has been going on far too long and it must come to an end. It’s beyond time for Roblox to step in and provide us with legitimate alternatives; despite the fact that it’s been years, they have yet to make a single comment about our options.

I’d be willing to pay Roblox for an improved server that includes DDoS mitigation, but that is not an option they provide.

26 Likes

This is an extremely accurate response. Such a small portion of this community relies on larger player counts with less servers for the game to work it was intended. This issue has been going on for years with numerous attempts to stop it to no avail. It is a disgrace that Roblox hasn’t done anything about this. If this happened to a larger game at scale, Roblox would sort it as fast as possible. Extremely disappointed in this.

1 Like

This is still an active issue. When trying to get in contact with the relevant team through Developer Relations, you’re just getting ignored. It’s not the first time I’ve mailed - for a good reason. This is preventing me from releasing my new game; it’s awful that Roblox has not given a timeframe for a potential patch to mitigate these attacks.

3 Likes

This is still an active issue. This is honnestly very “stupid”

This is still an issue. I’ve been suspecting it’s a plugin script for Synapse doing it. But it may very well be DDos attacks. Roblox doesn’t seem to care at all. I’ve told them exactly who is doing it and those users have not even been banned.

Edit: There’s lots of videos like this floating around that show it being done with Synapse: Lagging ROBLOX Servers - YouTube

FYI, this is a very complex issue. They’re not communicating with you because, no solution has been found. The client connects to the server via an IP and that IP has to maintain a level of traffic between the server and client to be able to function.

There’s no easy way to mitigate this that wouldn’t also affect the client from a worse experience. Everyone is at a loss here. Even Roblox. Those players that leave your game have the ability to spend money on what you create. If they don’t spend, you lose money and Roblox loses money through tax. Simple mitigation in a small scenario doesn’t always scale to millions of users.

Think about the bigger picture instead of spewing radical nonsense.

3 Likes

Roblox should still be communicating better with its game developers that are being targeted. Roblox should also help assist them monetarily for the damages. This is on ROBLOX to solve the problem. It’s their platform and they get a big cut for our work.

1 Like

Since then, I haven’t bothered to update this thread, but I have made a post on another. You are welcome to read my post here:

https://devforum.roblox.com/t/server-ddos-attacks-becoming-problematic/1072624/211?u=zeus

The issue was solved.

It’s quite frustrating to watch people like you, who have no understanding what they’re talking about, assert that I and many others are spouting radical gibberish.

Communication is critical, and Roblox’s priority should be to keep us informed.

6 Likes

My community has been affected by this too, I’m surprised that ROBLOX has not done anything to prevent this at all. It’s basically impossible to stop, no matter what you do.

Well a temporary solution like someone has already mentioned here would be creating a hub, a place where the players enters and clicks a button to get into the main game, that would stop bots from auto joining servers and sending the IP of servers with real players through a webhook, also make sure that the hub max players capacity is 1, I’d suggest doing that until Roblox implements a better solution for that, I just really hope roblox doesn’t end up having an exploit through this to get other users IP’s.

you are putting a band aid on a flesh wound

1 Like

there isn’t really any other way to go about it, he doesn’t have any access to the server that is hosting the game so he can’t do anything.

why are people still trying to suggest bandaids and solutions for a problem that you cannot fix.

all you can do is report it as a bug.

1 Like

Yeah this is happening to my game now as well, we banned one largely known exploiter and now he’s automated a system to grab server ips and ddos them. So my game with over 1k active players is now constantly having crashing servers and we just can’t do anything about it. It’s insane that roblox doesn’t have any protection against this in 2022.

Hopefully they fix it soon before it inevitably kills my game.

Same user hitting Tyrone Shippuden + new Tyrone game, defo targetting small anime CC communities. One solution I’ve found to prevent auto port scanning, is using private servers. I recommend doing that.

Not only is Roblox not fixing this, but they seem to be actively working against developers making their own systems to prevent it. Before Feb 2022, developers were able to use a VPN to start a server with region set as the Netherlands (which offered protection for some reason), now they’ve redone how server IPs are assigned so its not possible anymore.

This is still an issue. My game is experiencing this.

I joined @Duckzye’s game when servers are being ddosed and if I open wireshark, I see packets with something along the line of ICMP Destination unreachable (Port unreachable).

I belive a netherland server offers protection in some extend but not fully (I still see netherland server crash). Also, netherland server are extreamly rare since Febuary and using my netherland VPN server, the chances of one opening in netherland is nearly impossible unless someone sit there and spam the play button for 30 minutes straight.

Edit: I recently realized that Netherland server starts to ignore all your requests for the game session if you send too many traffic or hit some other limits. thus making it invinsible to DoS attacks but not DDoS attacks

1 Like

Also since Febuary, roblox seems have completly downgraded the netherland server. correct me if im wrong but I belive they have completely shrunk the capacity of the server, 128.116.13.1 is the only netherland server IP they are using now and the capcity is really maximum 16383 server instances only

1 Like