DDOS attacks against both my experiences

ISSUE DESCRIPTION
Severe DDOS Attacks occured today in both my experiences - Empire Clash and Navy Simulator. During these attacks, the DDOSer would simultaniously take down all live game servers. Player’s ping would spike and they would either crash or get disconnected with error code 277. Players trying to join the server would also be prevented from joining and recieved error code 17.

I had a zoom meeting at the beginning of the month with some engineers from Byfron discussing the issue for my game Empire Clash, which has been experiencing this issue for weeks now. During this meeting, there was discussion on whether the issue was caused by a DOS attack targeting a RemoteEvent(s) in the game, or if it was a DDOS attack on the server itself. However, because of the severity of the attacks today (all servers went down simultaniously), and the fact that it was on both games not just Empire Clash, I am confident this is a DDOS issue.

WHEN THIS HAPPENED
A strong indicator of a DDOS attack is a sharp decline of average play time in the developers stats. This first screenshot is from Empire Clash, and we can clearly see where the DDOS attacks too place. Attacks on the 18th occured at 7 AM EST, 1 PM EST, and 5 PM EST. The game was attacked for 4 hours on the 19th (today) with the new method described in this thread betwen 12 AM EST and 3 AM EST. There was also attacks at 10 AM EST. and 4 PM EST.

You can also see this in Navy Simulator. This was only a single attack, but can again be clearly seen in developer stats. This occured at 2 PM EST.

Reproduction
I do not know how the DDOSers are able to do this. I wanted to make this thread to bring more attention to the issue. I am also not the only one experiencing problems like this, and since I have been fairly public about this issue I have heard from mutliple other developers about this happening to their experiences. I hope this issue is able to be properly investigated, because it is extremely frusterating to deal with. I love making games on the Roblox platform - I have 2 already and a 3rd one planned to release sometime next year. I’m very privileged to do this as my full time job. However, problems like this kill a lot of the passion for game development and are extremely discouraging.

I know that servers with increased DDOS protection in a few regions that are starting to roll out, but this needs to be a greater priority. I really hope this report gets investigated and maybe some discoveries can be made from analyzing what is happening to my experiences.

If you need anything else from me please send me a message or reply to the thread - I am happy to help. Also if you are a developer and experiencing this yourself, please post about your experience below as well.

1 Like

Have you tried to contact ROBLOX?

Yes. I explained this in the post.

If your reporting this as a bug then you need to message @Bug-Support . No one really can help as this seems to be more of an issue with the Roblox DDoS protection.

You can try to contact a youtuber like Kreekcraft or Chizeled, I am sure if they spread the news, Everything should go well again, And hopefully it reaches out to Roblox; Roblox Support is not the best at most of the time. Also try to post the issue in Twitter.

You also have a massive fan base, So you could easily reach out to Roblox, If there was no real action taken. DDOS Is really dangerous, And could harm your game. So you need to try to take several action as quick as you can.

I’ll try this message inbox. Thanks, I didn’t know this existed. For some reason it wouldn’t let me post this in the bug reports section of the devforum which is why I posted it here.

And you are right. If this continues too long I will try to use social media. I’m just trying to keep this more lowkey for now because extra attention from social media may encourage the DDOSer to continue what they are doing.

The reason why you cannot post in bug reports is because they made it so you require to be the trust level regular to post in these sections.