Deathrun!

As some, if not most of you may know Wesley, Juriaan and I have worked really hard the last couple of months to get a game done with the help of some contributors. It’s Deathrun!

For those of you who haven’t ever played the game yet I’ll quickly go over the game’s flow. In Deathrun a random map is chosen with a random killer and the rest of the players are runners. Maps feel like themed obstacle courses and they include tons of traps which can be triggered by the killer. Runners will have to run through the map to reach the end where they are teleported to the area where the killer hides and activates his traps. They get the chance to slay the killer with a sword once they get there. The killer has to avoid this from happening and has to activate traps in order to kill the runners. If all runners die, the killer wins. If the killer dies, all remaining runners win.

“We know that already Zomebody, show us some pictures”
Alright Alright, take a look at these new maps:

“So, Zomebody, why should I play the new Deathrun?”
Well, there are multiple reasons why you should play this game!

Better looks:
This game looks way better compared to the previous version. Maps are higher quality and they include different lighting settings for an improved ambience. The new lobby also (in my opinion) looks better than the previous one. It’s hard for one to argue that Deathrun 2 looks better.

Projectiles:
This game includes projectiles. Projectiles are small objects, often 3x3x3 studs, which you pick up when you walk into them and which you can throw away when you click. These projectiles can be carried through the map for fun and they can also be used for specific traps. For example, snowballs create a small ice block when you throw them in the water and they stay there for 3 seconds. You can use this mechanic to your advantage and created for more counterplay for runners, which was really needed in Deathrun 2.

Fresh content:
Deathrun includes 3 maps as of now which are all unique and include traps you haven’t seen before in Deathrun 2. You will probably have to play for hours to get to know the maps but then still you might learn new tricks to more easily make your way through the maps. The shop is also filled with a combination of old and new content which you can buy with coins you recieve by playing the game.

What are you waiting for? Play the game now!
[sub]May contain many bugs. Feel free to inform us about it.[/sub]

Here’s a link: http://www.roblox.com/games/206640076/ROBLOX-Deathrun

4 Likes

In dr_ on TF2 there are some traps which are pure luck-chance. e.g. there’s a trap death (runner for you) activates the trap. A crate opens up, if inside is a golden hat you may live. If a bomb is inside it, bomb. I think the win/lose was something like 26% win and 74% lose. Will there be any chance/luck traps added? If not everyone just stands around waiting for someone to go and that can be incredibly boring/time consuming.

Chaser, in dr_mario64 (a TF2 dr map again) after about 45 seconds a ‘chaser’ runs the whole dr_ map and touching it will kill you. This keeps people moving and of course kills idlers. This would be a extremely good idea for ROBLOX deathrun 3 where we all know people argue on who goes, don’t move, idlers.
[center]

[/center]

There are a few traps which involve luck, but there are no traps that require the runners to pick a side and hope they survive. For example, there’s a trap with a bunch of platforms which disappear after each other in a random order and come back a second or two later. If you’re unlucky the platforms near you disappear first, but if you have good reflexes you can hop from one platform to another and prevent death.

Traps that involve pure luck are against our ‘map building rules’, but you will occasionally find traps that involve randomness

[quote]
Chaser, in dr_mario64 (a TF2 dr map again) after about 45 seconds a ‘chaser’ runs the whole dr_ map and touching it will kill you. This keeps people moving and of course kills idlers. This would be a extremely good idea for ROBLOX deathrun 3 where we all know people argue on who goes, don’t move, idlers. [/quote]

It may or may not have been disabled at the moment, but we’ve added a ‘flying hand’, comparable to the ones you see in Super Smash Bross games and which acts like the ‘following hand’ in the old game called ‘Quack Attack’. The hand spawns after a while and will move through the map. Any runner near it will get killed by it. That is, besides the timer, our ‘anti AFK’ and ‘anti idler’ system.

Ice map is brutal. When you get to the turtle you never have more than three people left. Ice spikes after it are impossible. :frowning:

Played a few rounds with Ethan and came up with a few improvements…

1. When you level up you should receive more coins than what the previous level earned (ex. level one gets 20 coins, level 2 gets 22, etc.)

2. When you level up you should receive 1 diamond, which is a pretty good compromise to keep a player in game.

3. Dial down the difficulty if you can. I played for a solid hour and only won when I was the killer.

4. Add spleef back into the lobby :slight_smile: , although I think that that’s already planned.

5. Gamepad support for the killer, I was having a blast using my controller as a runner.

Other than that I had a great time in the game, looking forward for the updates!

The timer on the jungle map is really intense, runners run out of time a lot there. Also, it seems there’s a lack of animation with the ropes trap, which doesn’t really tell you if the trap has been activated or not yet. The water trap is extremely laggy when it is activating. Not quite sure how you would fix it, but yeah.

Ice is brutal, I’ll probably have to cut fearsome foundry short so that all the maps aren’t hard. The low friction is especially difficult to manage, it could probably stand to have normal friction (as a start).

The RNG seems predisposed to pick the jungle map, but I think that’s mostly because it’s in the middle of the list. Maybe something other than math.random(1,#Maps) to choose the maps (I assume this is how it is).

I haven’t really played the Training Grounds map because it comes up so infrequently.

The revamping of this game is soo good! It’s quite aesthetically pleasing and both roles are balanced for the most part. However, my only complaint is that somehow my stats are broken and I can never gain EXP or coins after completing or dying in a round. I can buy them, I just can’t earn them.

@DigitalBoy96.
Known bug, will be fixed in the next patch of the game. If you join a different server, does it gets fixed ?

@DigitalBoy96.
Known bug, will be fixed in the next patch of the game. If you join a different server, does it gets fixed ?

Based on the feedback here, we’ve uploaded a few small updates in the last couple of days. The following complaints should be fixed:

The first two traps are a bit easier now: The first trap on the ice map has the friction set back to default and the second trap spawns fewer ice spikes.

Although we didn’t run into time issues while testing, we did increase the time limit with 20 seconds.

We’re a bit skeptical about this one. During the beta testing the maps seemed to be a little too easy. This was for the most part based on the fact that most beta testers were familiar with the game’s mechanics so we left the maps like that. Now that the game is released, it will take a while for most players to learn the maps. It may look like some maps are overpowered at the moment, but it’s also part of Deathrun’s nature that players have to learn the maps. In a week or two the maps may balance themselves out a bit because players will be more familiar with the maps then, but if it turns out that most people are still having issues, we will tune the traps.

Other than that, we will be trying to implement most of the other suggestions as soon as we can!

Head jumping makes me cry.
I know how goombas must feel.

[quote] Head jumping makes me cry.
I know how goombas must feel. [/quote]

We’re working on it right now. Still requires some work but you can expect it within a few days.

[quote] Head jumping makes me cry.
I know how goombas must feel. [/quote]

We’re working on it right now. Still requires some work but you can expect it within a few days.[/quote]

Would disabling collisions between players be a possibility?

[quote] @DigitalBoy96.
Known bug, will be fixed in the next patch of the game. If you join a different server, does it gets fixed ? [/quote]

I think being in a different server does fix it.

-When spectating, the lighting/fog color does not change to what it’s supposed to
-When playing as a killer, mousing over trap buttons should show a local, transparent projection of what the trap will do
-You should not be able to see the killers to be able to predict what traps they will use
-The round results screen forces me out of the shop - I don’t like this
-Lighting/fog color changes should happen after you teleport into the map (currently you can see the lobby turn blue/orange/etc before you teleport out of the lobby)

[quote]
-You should not be able to see the killers to be able to predict what traps they will use [/quote]

This would make the game unimaginably difficult, we would lose even more players due to difficulty than we already are.

[quote]
-You should not be able to see the killers to be able to predict what traps they will use [/quote]

This would make the game unimaginably difficult, we would lose even more players due to difficulty than we already are.[/quote]
In TF2’s deathrun you cannot see death (the killer) at all but in some maps you can see death at certain points/areas. Having death constantly on display isn’t a good idea and can make it unfair and the game play quickly becomes exhausted.[center]
Example of where death can’t be seen, adds tension makes it more spooky.[/center]

[center]Example of where death can be seen, relaxes players knowing where they are and provides transparency.

[/center]

hehe