Decal does not show in game

Update: Tried publishing the decals under the group that owns the game. Doesn’t work.

:1. What do you want to achieve? Create a crosshair for an item.

1. What is the issue? The crosshair shows in studio, but not in any published game.

2. What solutions have you tried so far? Checked if it’s moderated, the decal is not moderated, it’s not archived, and it’s owned/uploaded by me.

This has been a problem for about a month now and it’s seemingly impossible to fix.

This screenshot is taken from inside the player in studio:

This screenshot is taken from inside the game, after publishing the identical game shown in the screenshot above:

This is the code for the tool being equipped:

Gun.Equipped:Connect(function()
		Mouse.Icon = "rbxassetid://13557523068"
	end
end)
4 Likes

Press F9 while in the published game and pull up the client and server logs. Should show any errors.

2 Likes

There aren’t any errors, the crosshair displays fine in the studio player, but not in game.

1 Like

Looking at F9 console should show you any errors in the code.

1 Like

I believe this issue is more related to “Roblox moderation” rather than a “script” problem. This occurrence often arises when content is published without sufficient time for moderation. It is important to allow for some time to elapse.

1 Like

It could be because the decal was published under a group or something else that doesn’t belong to you. Try making a decal under your name or your group. I think that could be the problem because that’s what happens in animation but am not 100% sure.

1 Like

This doesn’t happen with decals, you can test it by grabbing any decal from the marketplace and publishing a game with it, it’ll show up. Only audio, packages, and animations need to be published by the game creator. Meshes and decals don’t.

1 Like

It’s been a month since I originally published the decals, I also tried republishing it a week ago, same issue.

Edit: Also the decals don’t show as pending, you can view them on roblox, you can check for yourself if you want, the ID is 13557523103.

Let me mess with it a bit and ill get back to you.

Interestingly, I’m facing a similar issue. I suggest attempting to republish it within the group if the game falls under a group experience, and then try again.

It’s possible that Roblox has flagged it for unknown reasons, as working with images/decals can sometimes be problematic.

Tried it, same thing happens. It doesn’t seem to be moderated as if it was moderated it wouldn’t show the image. If you go to the image on roblox and zoom in, you can see the crosshair.

Then I wouldn’t know. Roblox is a very interesting place for moderation and loading :3

2 Likes

This has happened to me alot this week. I think it’s a new glitch.

This issue is still ongoing, and it’s ridiculous that I can’t add a simple crosshair to my own game.

Bumping this again because it’s been yet another week. Roblox support are useless and only provide articles that have nothing to do with what I’m talking about. This is a roblox issue and roblox are failing to fix it.

uh, few things i did when uploading new decals:

• make sure its attached to the group/profile that you are using it from
  • make sure you are referring back to the decal correctly
  • try a different method of referring to the decal: i.e: just the ID
  • MAKE SURE IT IS AN IMAGE NOT A DECAL IF ALL OF THE ABOVE DONT WORK

check out this video its only 3 minutes long and could be useful:

1 Like

if its not an image and you dont know how to upload it as one:

upload it in the asset manager in studio, its in view tab

I appreciate your response, however, as I mentioned, this issue is not an issue with having it display, as it displays fine in studio, the issue is with the roblox client not displaying it properly, which is on roblox to fix. But as usual, roblox has no regard for fixing bugs on their platform.

Edit: To add on further, I don’t seem to be the only person experiencing this bug.

After a lot of digging around and testing images, I’ve found the specific “bug” causing this, although this does seem like it could also be poor documentation.

I was able to fix it by using an image with the size 256x256.

I’m not sure if this is a bug or intended behavior, as the documentation on the Mouse.Icon and UIS.MouseIcon properties do not state anywhere that the image must be 256x256, and to my best efforts to research this, no devforum post has ever had this solution, which leads me to believe it’s more of a bug rather than poor documentation.

Mouse.Icon Documentation simply states the size of the default icon:
“The default mouse image is 64x64 pixels, with the mouse taking up 17x24 pixels of space.”

UIS.MouseIcon Documentation doesn’t state any sizes at all.

The strange thing is, they will always show up in studio, regardless of what size it is, but the roblox engine doesn’t seem to show any icon larger than 256x256 (although I haven’t tested that extensively since I was just glad to have a cursor that worked).

The bug occurs both with Mouse.Icon and UIS.MouseIcon, with identical behavior (if the decal is over the size of 256x256, it shows in Studio, but not when playing on the Roblox Client).

This was extremely frustrating for the past 2 months, and even though I submitted a bug report, Roblox Staff did not send me this answer, I just got lucky and figured out this is what was causing the image to not appear in game. This leads me to believe that this really isn’t just a case of poor documentation, and is more likely to be an extremely specific bug.

Solution: Take your existing crosshair image that doesn’t work in a published game, use an image resizer to set the size to 256x256, re upload it to roblox, and change the IDs to the new decal.

Hopefully my bug report and this post will do some good by either getting the bug fixed or having the documentation updated with the image size requirement.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.