Decal Rotation?

I was wondering, why isn’t there an option to rotate a decal? Maybe this could be a feature that can be added in the future?

20 Likes

Are you asking for 90o rotations or any angle? I don’t see why we couldn’t 90o rotations unless there was a performance issue.

4 Likes

90 degrees increments would be great, but any angle would be perfect. It’s most useful for 90 degrees because of the whole cylinder thing as well.

1 Like

You can change decals 90 degree using the material flip plugin, but that’s about it (and it doesn’t work on all parts)

2 Likes

The only problem with non 90-degree increments would be image borders not pairing with part borders. And how would this work on rectangular parts?

I guess the decal would just stretch to fit the new dimensions.

2 Likes

Okay I’ll ask the obvious. Why not just rotate the part the decal is on?

Sometimes that is simply not an option.

3 Likes

That seems like a bug though

Why don’t decals just have all the options that an ImageLabel has? Honestly, it would be awesome if Decals & Textures could have these options so we wouldn’t need to re-upload new images for decals.

2 Likes

What are the use cases for this? I don’t think in my 7+ years of making games on ROBLOX I’ve ever wanted to do this :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

What were you trying to do that you ended up getting blocked on?

Yeah, I haven’t ever come across a need for dynamically rotating 3D textures (I can always rotate them in an image editor before uploading). I think this thread was spurred from: Why are decals on the back face of cylinders rotated 180 degrees?

There is really no real need for it, I just thought it would be a good feature and may be useful at some point.

The lack of decal options in Roblox is honestly baffling.

We can only paste them onto parts and adjust their transparency.
Decals are a disappointment as of right now.

There isn’t even a way to adjust their offset or size, they just always stretch over a part.
There also aren’t any alpha options and they are always rendered using the option that is the worst for performance.

Decals create unnecessary draw calls, there are no interpolation options which makes low-res images look blurry and smeared, just plain ugly for pixel art.

I could make a whole list of everything that’s wrong with decals and why I don’t like using them.

Most of the time I’ll just model something in Blender and stick that onto a part instead because it doesn’t need alpha, I can adjust offsets and it can be clustered which means that having 2000+ blood splats, bullet holes or other things are very cheap and don’t impact performance too much because it can all be rendered in a single draw call without alpha.

Decals are like great to use to add faces to characters, they can be used as an additional texture layer on top of a mesh.
But they’re not all that useful in many other ways unless you find creative usecases for them.

I guess I could use them for a sign post but why would I do that if I can just use a surface GUI instead where I can edit the text later if I want to?

Adding rotation to decals would already make them more worth using Imo.
But decals honestly really need a revamp or just an update of their own, they lack so much common functionality that almost every game engine has.

5 Likes