Decals and Textures don't layer properly

Shown here, the path texture, as well as the tree, are on surfaces behind the part that the texture for the trees are on- yet they still bleed through. This happens frequently and has been a problem for years.

3 Likes

THANK YOU! It’s the little things

I’ve noticed this, It’s getting really annoying because most of my games have Textures/Decals it just doesn’t work :angry:

It should be noted that this will only happen of both of the textures are on transparent bricks. Your pathway could probably stand to be opaque, so that should solve your problem in the OP.

Regardless it’s something that shouldn’t happen at all. Unless I’m mistaken it’s something to do with z-indexing, it’s been an issue for many years now and I’m surprised they haven’t fixed it.

1 Like

Regardless it’s something that shouldn’t happen at all. Unless I’m mistaken it’s something to do with z-indexing, it’s been an issue for many years now and I’m surprised they haven’t fixed it.[/quote]

Absolutely. I’m not trying to justify the bug in any way, just pointing out a quick fix for cases where it’s possible for one of the decals to be opaque.

Regardless it’s something that shouldn’t happen at all. Unless I’m mistaken it’s something to do with z-indexing, it’s been an issue for many years now and I’m surprised they haven’t fixed it.[/quote]

Absolutely. I’m not trying to justify the bug in any way, just pointing out a quick fix for cases where it’s possible for one of the decals to be opaque.[/quote]
Not that I was implying that, just clearing it up for people who thought that was a permanent fix. :wink:

This isn’t a texture bug then; this is a transparency issue. This decal/texture bug wouldn’t exist if transparent bricks were layered correctly…

This isn’t a texture bug then; this is a transparency issue. This decal/texture bug wouldn’t exist if transparent bricks were layered correctly…[/quote]

I don’t have studio in front of me but I recall this bug occurring in surface guis as well. If a surface gui extends past its opaque adornee, only the section that’s off of the part’s surface will be affected by the bug.

A really cool application of this sort of bug:

Using it for creating dynamically “grayed out” models in my UI currently by exploiting the incorrect layering.

[quote] A really cool application of this sort of bug:
-snip-

Using it for creating dynamically “grayed out” models in my UI currently by exploiting the incorrect layering. [/quote]

Is it reasonable to use this behavior for something like that? Can we trust that it won’t be patched?

“Is it reasonable to use this behavior for something like that? Can we trust that it won’t be patched?”

No, you should absolutely not use that sort of behavior for anything other than cool experiments, which is what I’m using it for. But for cool experiments it’s really neat to have access to clipping regions via this bug.

[quote] A really cool application of this sort of bug:
-snip-

Using it for creating dynamically “grayed out” models in my UI currently by exploiting the incorrect layering. [/quote]

When will that game be ready for release/beta/alpha/dev-testing? :stuck_out_tongue: :woohoo:

An interesting related issue that happens with semi-transparent meshes is when you try overlaying multiple faces:

The one at the bottom clips through all those above it, no matter what angle you look at it from.

However, when you make the scale negative, this issue completely disappears:

The only problem is that the lighting is too messed up to use this in games.

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Off-topic and bump posts

Bugs with glass do not belong on this topic