Default Terrain Water Acting strange

Clip of the issue: https://gyazo.com/ac4060f27c386d78c32960f05752a33e
I don’t see any reason this should be happening and can’t think of anything, and I don’t believe it’s the player model causing something weird, does anybody have any ideas?

4 Likes

There is an ongoing issue with the terrain water and R6 only games, where the player cannot jump on the surface of the water, and bouyancy is affected. Not sure why no one has reported this in Bug Reports, because it is affecting many games.

1 Like

Thanks for letting me know that it’s not just a problem with my game. Hope it gets fixed soon though because it makes testing the game a bit weird.

You can try to enable R15 in your game, it might solve the issue, let me know.

I’ve been having this issue on Flooded Area, which is a game entirely based around water. The game is R6 only, and we’d like to keep it that way. People have been complaining for like a month now, and I agree, it absolutely sucks and ruins the game.
Knowing that this affects R6 only games is really helpful. I’ve tried some solutions, but none of them have worked.
I’ve tried:

• Forcing R15 (this worked, but we don’t want to use R15, and the game might break)
  • Forcing R15, and then setting the StarterCharacter to the R6 dummy model. (this worked, but people would be unable to customize their avatars AT ALL and everyone would be gray)
  • Setting the game to Player Choice. The glitch still happens if a player chooses to use R6.
  • Forcing R15 but then using a script to make players’ characters be R6. (didn’t work)

This bug is absolutely infuriating, and we’ve most definitely lost players because of it. When it first started happening, there was an immediate decline in playercount. If I can’t fix this in a few days, I’ll open a bug report.

1 Like

Does increasing JumpPower help at all?

Also, check out this post from long ago:

Although currently you can jump, you cannot jump on the surface of the water (with R6) as it was before.

Like this:

We currently are using a script that sets the player’s JumpPower to 70 when swimming, and 50 when they’re not, as a means to mitigate the problems caused by this bug. It helps a little bit, but it’s nowhere near as good as it used to be.

This is what water jumping currently looks like (with the jumppower set to 75)
Waterjumping with JumpPower set to 75

And this is what it should look like. (using MrGrey as the StarterCharacter, which breaks the rest of the game)
Waterjumping how it should be

I tried, but I’m not able to make a bug report, so I’ll loop in @Bug-Support, and hope that someone from the team reaches out/replies. I’m more than willing to provide any information needed to get this fixed.

I really appreciate you helping out with this, it’s great to actually be in contact with someone about this issue!

1 Like

Kind of unrelated to the post, but putting this inside of ServerScriptService will make MrGrey magically turn into the players avatar upon character load. I use this in a lot of games (mainly unpublished ones)

Not exactly sure if this just makes the problem happen again though.

local players = game:GetService("Players")
players.PlayerAdded:Connect(function(player)
	player.CharacterAdded:Connect(function(char)
		local hum : Humanoid = char:WaitForChild("Humanoid") -- sometimes the humanoid isnt loaded in when CharacterAdded fires 
		local desc = players:GetHumanoidDescriptionFromUserId(player.UserId)
		hum:ApplyDescription(desc)
	end)
end)

The script worked for applying the appearance, thank you for that! It does fix the water bug, but for some reason, rounds aren’t loading when using MrGrey as the StarterCharacter. (Also, the sounds for walking, jumping, swimming, etc don’t play)
I’m new to developing this specific game, so I’m not 100% sure how all the scripts work yet, especially surrounding rounds.
This is great for figuring out a solution though, thanks again!

A bug report for this issue has been made here:

2 Likes

Fantastic, thanks so much! Really appreciate it! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve found a reason and much simpler solution to the bug. Maybe this will be of help to you @actuallyarla and @yyyyyyyippy

2 Likes

I cannot thank you enough, this fixed our issue! I can’t believe it was this simple the entire time, but seriously, thank you. The game is much more enjoyable now! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

the issue has been recently fixed by roblox. thanks to all you guys trying to help out and specifically to opplo for the bug report!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.