Deleting Uploaded Assets

Hello,

It’s easy, if the account email is changed then we lock the delete button.
Cause at the time if someone get compromised, the games he created are compromised too, scripts can be deleted ect…

Enable the 2FA and it’s good.

I completely agree. If we have the ability to create we should also have the ability to destroy. I think eventually this should apply to anything we may upload including the ability to delete games you have created. Currently the biggest thing I want is the ability to delete clothing items that I have uploaded and would welcome this addition.

2 Likes

I believe that there should be a delete button. However, looking from a technical standpoint, we don’t really know how assets are stored on Roblox’s end. They could be binary blobs in a SQL database with a number of indices and cross references. Also, others could be using the asset. So by deleting it, it would cause errors in other games.

Just trying to see both sides here.

2 Likes

I’d argue that the main limitation is not technical but rather security-wise, if someone hacked into your account, they could delete every asset you ever uploaded rather than just archive it like they can currently do.

This is already a thing when archiving an asset so therfore not an issue.

1 Like

I have a similar thought along this issue. I would greatly appreciate the ability to replace assets without creating new ones. This allows for trial & error fine tuning without requiring the user to change asset IDs in their game and delete the old asset to declutter their library.

6 Likes

This would genuinely help me as a developer to organize my assets, I could really see this being helpful.

2 Likes

If you archive an asset it dissapears from all games anyways

The problem is the same, if the account is hacked then the games are compromised, the scripts can be deleted or even worse the guy could just implement a spyware and try to redirect the users to a game he just created.

How to solve this problem ?
Why not lock game edition when the password is changed or the email is removed during a certain amount of time.
Same for asset’s, only if you have an email then you can delete them.

Or even more easier, force the 2FA for create assets or games.

You can restore versions, every version of a place is stored so you can restore it at a later date. This is a non-issue, bigger issue would be a user copying scripts.

This isn’t an asset deletion issue however. It specifically relates to games that are hacked and are still running. Games can always be restored as a previous version. If assets could be permanently deleted, this restoration process would not be possible.

This doesn’t solve the issue? A hacker can simply delete your assets before changing your password.

Many accounts that are hacked have 2FA on

I have like 10 audios in a row which are called (Invalid audio). This was when audio costed robux. It didn’t charge me, but it’s a waste of space in my inventory. I don’t want to see them, archiving isn’t enough.

They used the email verification ?
Because I was thinking about the phone 2FA (with the QR Code and the secret code)

Yeah, I thought about it and the best solution is to implement a wait list.
When someone asks to delete the asset it has to wait for 30 days.

Still need this as a feature.

I have many uploaded images (not decals) from testing group icons and whatnot and it’s hard to navigate through my images with a lot of spam. This feature would improve my workflow!

I would love the ability to cull the obsolete assets and waste, that serves no point but to clutter my Assets page and Roblox’s database. Roblox, do both yourself and us Developers a favor, and let us delete them. Let us delete the versions from the version history of existing assets too.

And if they’re worried people’s accounts will get hacked and the hackers will delete all their creations, or people will accidentally delete them, they could:

• Advise us to save local copies of assets
  • Retain the asset for 30 or so days before permanent deletion, giving developers a chance to undo their action
4 Likes

Can’t believe this isn’t a thing, I wasn’t aware that such standard feature doesn’t exist and now I have a bunch of “test” animations stuck with me forever.

Deleting your own assets that have never been put on sale or aren’t being used in any experience shouldn’t be that complicated.

6 Likes

We’re still waiting Roblox.

I got the oldest, crappiest clothing you could ever imagine that I made when I was around 10. Some clothing was made for my friends that I don’t talk to anymore. I don’t think it’s a difficult feature to implement. Sure, I could disable my inventory, but I don’t want to do that just because my clothing looks bad on my page.

Even animations that I made when I was younger! It’s just littering my inventory for no reason.

And about hackers deleting assets, yes that can be an issue and all. Though recently, it’s getting harder and harder to get hacked. SIM swapping is not so common, there’s 2FA (although sometimes it’s not always the safest but it helps a TON) and such. I mean, most users get hacked because they were either irresponsible enough to give them their Roblox account token or something OR they didn’t secure their account, and that’s their responsibility to protect their account, ESPECIALLY developers that use assets.

2 Likes

I sall can use it to delete me he’s models what a part is of a mech model now i have for example nzkd d bench now the Planks and the psalms have become two assets

To make it clear, afaik regular exe programs can scrape your Roblox cookie (just like they do to Discord tokens, etc.) and the Roblox web-api exists, allowing web requests to run on the client with their cookies (if the cookie is scraped) meaning they don’t even need to send the cookie directly over the internet and have requests originate from a different location / IP. The Roblox web api also allows people to get tricked into accidentally firing api endpoints (you’d be surprised of how often this happens)

Cookies and (afaik) passwordless log-in, bypasses this entirely.

Roblox account security is still not strong enough to justify it not being considered as a factor.

Unfortunately, that still happens, I can’t go against that. I do believe that these kinds of things can be resolved with awareness. I mean, no random program (at least from how I understand it) will scrape your cookies for no reason, obviously, the person has to download the malicious program, correct me if I’m wrong.

Now that I agree with. I do appreciate the fact they’re trying to make it more secure though it’s still vulnerable. I also did mention that it’s not the safest

Though I’m sure it helps, at least I’m hoping so. I can’t promise you I know any statistics.

Does the right to be forgotten GDPR law grant us the right to delete these assets? I’m not sure if an uploaded asset counts as personal information though.